lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #11
jonequest
Gone Wild

Default Re: Can I install the front Cowl WITHOUT rivets

I'm not too worried about them breaking. Right now, every car on the road foreign or domestic has hundreds of reusable plastic fasteners holding everything together. there are at least 10 on every door panel. Cars drive for 20-30 years and the fasteners never break unless somebody pulled the panel too hard. I just picked up a box of 5/16 inch plastic rivets $3.99 at autozone hopefully they'll work for me.

Too big.... need to try a smaller size.
jonequest is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #12
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My door panel only has three pins and three screws. But you make a very good point.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #13
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

I've tried door fastener (clips), they got loose, I tried a blind nut (insert or nutsert), the o.d. on the nutsert was too large by the time you got to an appropriate size screw to do the job.
I've ended up with a whole load of rivets. I cant remember the all the specs on the rivet size but it is by far the best way to attach the cowl........ I install the rivets with a manual rivet gun, it's real easy.
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #14
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

The rivets hold the two layers together extremely well, no squeaks or chafing. They can be found in silver aluminum at any hardware center, you just need to know the thickness and the diameter. After install, use a common paper hole punch in the center of a 3x5 index card, position the card over the silver rivet, and blast it with a shot of flat black Rustoleum for that OEM look. Done.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:59 PM   #15
jonequest
Gone Wild

I think that the plastic rivets I found today will work. I just need the right size. I bought 5/16" and the holes are way smaller than that. I actually found 2 that fit perfectly in my junk can, I will bring one to the store tomorrow to find 7 the same size. If I get the right size I know they will hold it tight. These are "rivets" but just temporary ones that have a pop in and out pin or the kind I like have a little phillips screw head. They do expand 3 or 4 ways like the stock ones though. I can see why EZGO does it the way they do. It is fast cheap and dependable. Like I said most of these carts go a decade or more without having the body removed. Then people like us get them and tear the whole thing apart for fun. My paint job came out perfect yesterday so whether it is a stock rivet or plastic one from Auto Zone I am putting it back together tomorrow.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #16
RAKA97
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Keep us informed on what you end up using, I have been following this thread to see what you have found as I also have mine apart painting now too, good time change mine if you find something that works good.
BTW just installed my stereo and some light switches,etc in front cowl too.
RAKA97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:12 PM   #17
jonequest
Gone Wild

I will definitly let everyone know what I find. That's the great thing about this site. We get to learn from each others mistakes and trials.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #18
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I just use the rivets from EZ.. but I do get them cheap. Dealer orders them by the large box :)
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #19
RAKA97
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
I just use the rivets from EZ.. but I do get them cheap. Dealer orders them by the large box :)
I have already purchased mine too , BUT if there is an easier way to take back off to check wiring from time to time if needed that would be great too!!!
RAKA97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #20
jonequest
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAKA97 View Post
I have already purchased mine too , BUT if there is an easier way to take back off to check wiring from time to time if needed that would be great too!!!
That is exactly my point. My ah-ha moment was when I had to tape off my radio so metal fillings would not fall into it as I drilled these rivets for the second time in a few months. I was also thinking how much easier the radio, LED light box, custom accessory wiring, etc would have been if I could have taken the cowl off in 3-5 minutes. One thing I have noticed is that American companies LOVE rivets. I use to work on cars about 15 years ago and the Japs always had little screws for everything where the big 3 had rivets holding lots of stuff together.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO