lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
Fireman 069
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 48 volt club car

I just picked up a 1996 48 volt Club car (golf cart) it will not move at all! The person i got it from told me that he put new batteries in it and that would not fix it! Im wondering if there is a way to trouble shoot it with out batteries. I got it with out any batteries and have none at this time. But would like to try to trouble shoot it if possible with out buying batteries first. I did get a charger with it and was shown it works on another cart. Im also wondering if there is a way to test the drive motor with out the batteries also. Thanks for any help i can get. I also have no back ground with golf carts other then renting them when we going camping.
Fireman 069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
Fireman 069
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 48 volt club car

Im also wondering if i can run 4 12volt batteries or do i hvae to use 6 8volt batteries?
Old 02-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

You need voltage before you can check anything
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #4
Fireman 069
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Can i plug the charger in and use that for voltage or do i have to have batteries in it?
Old 02-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

You need batteries in it. Your charger won't put out any amps at all unless it's hooked to a set of batteries.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #6
LJ12530
Gone Wild

It terms of electrical 48V DC is 48V DC. You have to wire it in series of course, but I'm sure you're up to speed on that.
The only thing that could be a problem with 12v's vs 8v's would be with any accessories that run off of a partial set of the batteries.
If the vehicle had a 48V/12V converter the accessories would all work normally.

If the vehicle had a 16V tap (two 8's) and you switched the tap to a 24V (two 12's) system your accessories could have a problem ( lights, brakes, etc ). I wouldn't use any taps on the batt pack until I knew more about the accessories, and the converter/limiter.

If you just want to check out the general operation of the cart, sans accessories, and do not have any taps coming off the batteries either set up would work for a test for everything but the accessories. When it comes to amp/hour rating, etc that is another matter, but you're only going to do a basic systems test so that shouldn't matter.

Another point. You'd want to make sure the batteries are "flooded cell" and not AGM or Gel cell batteries before plugging them into the cart charger. If you can put water in them they are flooded cell.
LJ12530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #7
Fireman 069
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the info up to this point!!!! Im in the need of some used batteries for now so i could do some testing! Any idea where to find some im in VA?
Old 02-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #8
LJ12530
Gone Wild

If a friend has a golf cart you could just disconnect his +/-, and taps...in other words totally isolate his batteries from your cart, and put jumper cables to your cart.
I suspect that is not an option available to you. Just a thought.
LJ12530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car