lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-17-2015, 06:25 PM   #11
Doc
Gone Wild

Default Re: 48V Carryall Stopped In Middle Of The Road

OK, got the new solenoid in today & installed it. Unfortunately, the resistor broke while re-assembling it. For what it's worth, the leads on it were so brittle that it simply fell off. Could this have been my original problem? Do I need this resistor in order to run? Now I go thru the test, key on, go depressed and I get NO reading at the 2 small posts on the new solenoid. What now? Can this possibly be OBC related? I'm running a 48V SureCharge on it so I believe I don;t even need it. I know I'm all over the place with this, but this has been an excellent running cart from day 1 (I'm the original owner) and just now starting to act up. Ideas?

Last edited by Doc; 09-17-2015 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: pix
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-17-2015, 06:33 PM   #12
Doc
Gone Wild

Pix of resistor...[/URL]
Old 09-17-2015, 07:13 PM   #13
Doc
Gone Wild

...also, if this means anything, I took voltage readings at the LARGE posts on the solenoid & it read 52.9.....it would appear that the solenoid isn't getting 'energized'.......
Old 09-17-2015, 09:00 PM   #14
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

If you put both meter leads on the solenoid you should get voltage with the resistor off when the solenoid switch is open. None when it closes. In other words with black meter lead on battery pack neg. and red lead on solenoid large red, or pos. post you will get battery voltage all the time. When you move the red meter lead to the other side of the solenoid it should read zero volts until the solenoid closes, then you should get battery pack voltage. However when you put the resistor back on the solenoid you will see close to battery pack voltage on that side of the solenoid even when the solenoid is open, the resistor is there to keep the capacitors charged when the solenoid is open. Think of the solenoid as a light switch, on and off. On lets enough current go through the switch to run the cart.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:22 PM   #15
Doc
Gone Wild

Follow-up & Fix! It turned out to be the diode and/or the resistor. Upon close inspection, there was a break in the connection (resistor) so I went & replaced them both and bingo! Solenoid clicks like an empty 6-shooter in Detroit on a Saturday night and the cart is mobile again! Thanks for all the responses-you guys rule!
Old 10-12-2015, 01:29 PM   #16
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

That resistor looks like it got fried. When a solenoid starts to go bad the high current can start going through the resistor which will cook it.. You probably had a solenoid failing and it took out the diode and the resistor... But you are going now..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:17 PM   #17
Doc
Gone Wild

Yes, I am! Forgot to mention that I replaced the solenoid, too, so I should be good for some time (fingers crossed!)
Old 10-13-2015, 05:05 AM   #18
kantuckian
Gone Wild

Good to know
kantuckian is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car