lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-27-2016, 06:07 PM   #21
InVision
Crazy Buggy Wild !!

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car completely dead

It turned out to be a relay. Had voltage to relay but it is stuck open. Bypassed relay until new one comes in. Thanks All !!

M
InVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-27-2016, 06:40 PM   #22
Golferdave
Gone Wild

Club Car

May have + DC volts to the one side of the relay when the charger is plugged into the batts.
I think - DC comes in on the small wire from the OBC to pull in the relay.
I think the OBC removes (neg) -DC to turn the charger off.

NOTE: "I think"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CC Batt Cgr wiring Dia.jpg (89.4 KB, 0 views)
Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:01 AM   #23
InVision
Crazy Buggy Wild !!

Club Car

Thanks for the diagram !

M
Old 12-28-2016, 08:38 AM   #24
InVision
Crazy Buggy Wild !!

Club Car

Charged batteries for 3 hours yesterday. Checked pack today and they were 44.9V. Serviced to proper level with Distilled Water. Plan to charge today for 4 hours and check pack batteries individually. Does anyone have any idea approximately how long batteries need to charge from 45V to 50V with the Powerdrive2 charger? Don't want to charge too long since charger is manual until relay comes in.

Thanks.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:15 AM   #25
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Unfortunately there are too many unknowns.

The OBC will allow full current to the batteries (bulk phase) until the pack reaches a pre-determined voltage level, it then starts to taper the current (absorption phase) until they are fully charged.

Without the OBC controlling the charging, it is hard to know how fast the batteries will climb in voltage, but the current will taper somewhat due to lower voltage differential as the pack voltage rises.

It is also unknown if there is any voltage drop across the OBC SCR when it is not active, that varied per model.

There is also a real good chance that one or more of the cells are damaged beyond revival.

So the safe answer is that You need to monitor the pack voltage, but You are good until 60v.

I would also keep the seat OFF the cart since the batteries are probably gassing heavily.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:43 AM   #26
InVision
Crazy Buggy Wild !!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Unfortunately there are too many unknowns.
Your telling me :-).

In your opinion at some point of restoring the pack (fingers crossed) should I reset the OBC ?

Thanks,

M
Old 12-28-2016, 09:57 AM   #27
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

When You get the new relay, just leave the pack negative cable disconnected while You install it in the charger.

The pack negative just needs to be disconnected for more than 10 minutes for the OBC to reset.

The next few charging cycles will take longer as the OBC is using a different algorithm to charge the pack (dV/dt).

You also need to do daily charges for the next few days after You fix the Powerdrive2.

Just unplug the DC cord from the cart, wait 30 seconds and plug it back.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:55 AM   #28
InVision
Crazy Buggy Wild !!

Club Car

Checked on pack this morning, 50.8. Charger shut off during the night with new relay as it should. It is 40 deg here and the pack batteries were 8.45, 8.44, 8.47, 8.45, 8.46, 8.45. I am going to equalize them today. The entire mess because of a $10 relay. Will the Powerdrive2 charger and OBC turn on automatically if left on during a few weeks storage? Or should I get a timer for it?

Thanks !! Big help to a fellow veteran !!

M
Old 12-30-2016, 09:16 AM   #29
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

As long as the DC cord is left plugged into the cart, the OBC will start a new charging cycle every 15 days.

I think it finally goes to sleep (stops charging) after 6 months, presumably because the water level may be low.

You just need to check the water levels, then unplug the DC cord for more than 5 seconds and less than 15 seconds, then plug it back, to reset the clock.

If you leave the cord unplug for 20 seconds or more You will start a new charging cycle once You plug it in.

If You want to run the charger on a timer, You need to use another small relay to accomplish that.

This is a project I did on mine, it works pretty well:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...e-control.html
Old 12-30-2016, 09:47 AM   #30
InVision
Crazy Buggy Wild !!

Club Car

Thanks for the info. It should be fine. I will just drive by monthly and check levels and reset. It is only 4 miles away and that give me a chance to drive 35 mph in our Garia Cart which is fun !!

Thanks Sergio !! You have been a blessing !!

M
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car