lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
sophie814
Not Yet Wild

Default New owner 98 dcs need maintenance advice etc

Hi there. I just bought an electric EZ go dcs. plate on it says built late 97, but the guy said since so late in the year it's considered a 98 and wrote that on invoice. It's had some the following:
New 2011 batteries (not sure what kind, how to tell or voltage)
new cables
new paint
new aluminum battery tray
new phox vegas wheel covers
new lights, rear seat kit, new charge meter (LED--he says has water seal), new lights, new extended top (white)

Anyway, I am totally new to this and am not 'handy'. I'd like to learn about it, so maybe in the future I can do some simple repairs on my own. My main question is what should I be doing regularly to keep this thing working? I know to check the battery water level (distilled), spray the cables with anticorusion spray when the red color turns clear, and to charge it and run it even in winter. That's all I know. I'd also like to get something for theft. I plan to use it to go to local stores, pool, etc. I really worry about theft, but read some clubs are useless as they can be knocked off. I'd love that one that alarms, but doubt I can figure out how to install unless it's simple. Also have white seats..one had a pin hole. I first put some caulk and then put in some clear stuff bought at autozone for vynil repair. Hope it holds up. Just curious what you all tell me to do to it. Sorry so long! Just very excited, but very clueless!

Also, why do people lift carts? just for style, or does it prevent damage? we have to use sidewalks in community and lots of bumps..always worried I will damage it on the bumps.

Thanks for all your advice for this girl and her cart!
sophie814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-20-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: New owner 98 dcs need maintenance advice etc

welcome to BGW...........the very most important thing you can do to the cart is put a beer cooler on it..........lolol.........sorry only kidding you must TAKE CARE OF YOUR BATTERIES AND CABLES always let your charger run until its done always ...........keep cable ends clean and tight and keep water 1/8 inch above plates in batteries........thats 90% of it....and buy yourself a decent digital voltage meter and learn how to use it if your gonna touch the cart this will be your best friend....take you all of 15 minuts a month.............enjoy your cart as for the lift looks cool and gives you a tad more speed but you need to be careful what lift and tires you buy.....my wife will tell you it starts hurting bouncing the chest region around a few hours........get my drift..........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Welcome to BGW.
Sit down and read this twice. Ezgo made DCS carts for a few years and then moved on to an improved drive system.
The DCS cart was first of what would be a new generation of smart carts.
THe DCS drive system was dropped in favor of the PDS drive system because it was discovered the DCS system had a hole in it. Here it is.
If the the driver attempts to operate the cart while the battery pack voltage is below the system minimum requirements, the speed controller will fail. Replacement costs are $4-500.
That was it, the new PDS system has a low voltage cut off built into it and very rarely fails in the same manner.
You can get many many years of use out of the DCS cart IF you heed this advice and warning.
Install a voltage meter or State of Charge meter. Analog meters are cheap and work as well as a digital one.
I would take it back to the dealer and demand he put an inexpensive analog meter on it, tell him you know the consequences of low voltage operation.

I hope this helps some folks
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #4
sophie814
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Scotty... Do I have that? I have a Led charge meter on the cart that shows me how much battery power I have. He put that on new. Is that was you are talking about? It's kind of like a fuel guage, but for battery power.
Let me try to understand you..there is a speed controller in the cart..if I use the cart when the batteries are at a certain low, it will 'break' that speed controller and I will need to replace it..which could cost anywhere from $4-500? Wow. So if I have the right meter, when should I bring it back home according to the charge meter? The charge meter did something weird the other day..I drove it a short period and it went down to 60% charge..then parked for a while..came back and charge was back up to 90-100% and I hadn't charged. Is that normal? Also, I hear a weird noise in the rear when coming down from high speeds when cruising on a slow down (without touching accelorator or brake) . (it's not the automatic slow down thing when going down hills) it's when going on flat street and let off accelerator and just cruising...makes weird noise. I will have to listen to the noise more to be able to describe it. Almost like something is loose (screws) under the rear. It only does it every so often.

thanks for the great advice. Hoping you read this again and can clarify if I already have the meter you speak of. Can't take it back to dealer..would have to pay someone $75 each way to tow it there for me. I don't have a trailer! Ughh. I may be able to drive it to the local golfcourse cart repair guy and ask him to install that. How much are they installed if I don't have it already? If my charge meter is what you are speaking of...when do I need to return home with it? Like before the charge drops below what?
sophie814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO