lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2011, 06:46 AM   #1
alleymize
Not Yet Wild

Default Noise from Rear 79 Ezgo

I have a 79 electric ezgo that makes a noise when driving from the rear that I first thought was the brakes rubbing. Took the hubs off and the brake pads did need replaced. Put new ones on and everything back together and it still makes the noise. Talked with a guy at a cart shop and he said it was probably the bearings. So I bought new hub bearings and replaced them. When doing this, I turned the hub around and used it as a puller, which worked fine. It also pulled the axle out as well, happened on both sides. The thing is after putting it all back together it still makes the noise. At first it did not make any sound and it seems whatever is making the noise has slowly come back into place and now it is just the same as it was originally. One question I have is when I pulled out the axles, there was no grease or oil that came out, should there be? And I see you are supposed to put oil in the rear end, what kind would I put in? Would this be the problem with the noise? Any help or direction is greatly appreciated because it is really annoying driving this thing around the campground with it making this loud rubbing noise. Oh, one thing I notice is I can make a hard swerve to the left or right and the noise will go less on that side and then going straight it will be quite and then come back and I can swerve again and it will stop or get much less. Thanks again for your time in reading and any help or direction.
alleymize is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Noise from Rear 79 Ezgo

Welcome to BGW!

The swerving thing is interesting ... sounds like either an axle bearing or a carrier bearing. I suggest you check the oil in the differential immediately. It takes 30wt motor oil but in your case a good shot or two of stp oil treatment added in may help?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:42 AM   #3
alleymize
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info and warning. I will do this first thing this weekend and see how it goes. Is the axle bearing and the carrier bearing the same as what is in the hub or is that inside the hump of the rear axle in the middle? Is this something that I can take apart and fix myself or is it something that has to be pressed off or welded in or something. I did do all the other myself and have some good basic skills at working on cars an engines.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

welcome, have you made sure this isn,t a tire rubbing? just a thought........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
alleymize
Not Yet Wild

Yes, both sides are good to go for tire clearance. Thanks for the thought.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #6
alleymize
Not Yet Wild

Sorry took so long but finally got to the campground. I have filled the rear end with 30 weight oil and oil treatment and it does seem to have helped. It was darn close to being dry. The thing is now if I go exactly straight, which never happens, then I do not hear anything. As soon as I start a turn I can hear a rubbing from the outside back wheel. If I turn the other way, I hear a rubbing from the other wheel, which is now the outside. I did put brake quite on the tabs when I changed the brakes where I thought it was rubbing. Is this something with the actual rotors themselves? I did not have them turned when I replaced the brakes and they looked really good inside as far a smoothness. But something still sounds like it is a brake pad rubbing. I realize there is always a rub from what everyone else says but no one else in the campground has the noise I hear from mine. What is my next option? Thanks for any help or direction in advance, I am at a loss.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO