lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
btyanke
Not Yet Wild

Default could 3 batteries instead of 6 be right for me?

Just wondering you thoughts. I am using my pds for hunting, run times to spot will be 5 minutes or less. I have easy access to power at hunting land. Now i know my overall run time would be half of what 6 batteries would be. Question would be would i loose torque going to 3- 12 volt batteries, or might i gain alittle cause of the lower amount of weight. The thing is i use cart very little and investing 600 bucks in batteries is something i would like to try and avoid if i dont need to. Also i live in wisconsin so those batteries will sit all winter not getting used. Deep cycle seem only to last me 3 or 4 years no matter how much i use them. Only buying 3 would be easier to deal with replacing every 3 years.
btyanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: could 3 batteries instead of 6 be right for me?

Will they fit in the battery tray? A T-1275 is 2.5" longer than a T-105.

On short runs, the top speed would probably be about the same.
It will probably slow down more on hills, but the 120 pound less weight might offset that some.

Run-time with a 150AH battery will less than the calculated 60% of the run-time of a 225AH battery because the batteries will be used harder, so your 50% guesstimate is probably fairly accurate.

If you are talking about using 3 deep cycle 12V batteries, it might work out okay for you, but if you are thinking about using three 12V car batteries, it probably won't.

Just my $0.02
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
btyanke
Not Yet Wild

Deffinetly thinking the biggest deep cycle/ marine battery i can find. Only thing is i found in a search that possible my ezgo battery charger might not be good for only 3 batteries, whats your thoughts, will it cook them?
btyanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by btyanke View Post
Deffinetly thinking the biggest deep cycle/ marine battery i can find. Only thing is i found in a search that possible my ezgo battery charger might not be good for only 3 batteries, whats your thoughts, will it cook them?
Think of the battery pack as a collection of 18 two volt cells. It really doesn't matter whether they are packaged in 3 boxes or six boxes, you've still got 18 2V cells, which gives you 36V total when connected in series.

The standard 36V charger is designed for a 225 AH cell, or thereabouts, so the iniotial charge current might be a little high (19.5A would be the recommended Max for a 150AH cell), but as long as the battery temperature while charging stays below 120F, your probably okay. If the 12V batteries you get are closer to 225AH, great.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO