lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
beebe31
Not Yet Wild

Question Loss of Power of installing new battery

Hey gents, I have a 98 EZGO electric golf cart that was running perfect until I replaced one of the 6 batteries. The reason for the replacement is the one of the top post was melted due to a loose batteries connection coming off my headlights. Anyways, I went and bought a brand new battery and connected it up exactly as the one I took out and the cart ran good on level ground but as soon as I attemped a small hill I didnt have enough power to make it and the proceeded backwards. lol..I then charged cart for 48 hours and attempted the same hill and ran into the same problem. Not sure what to do now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys
beebe31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
lithoman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Loss of Power of installing new battery

Do you have a dvm? You need to check the pack voltage after
12 hours of a complete charge. Can you post pics of you're batteries?
lithoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
beebe31
Not Yet Wild

Yes, I do have a meter but the cart is at my vacation home and I wont be there until Friday. Just looking for some troubleshooting tips for when I get there.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
beebe31
Not Yet Wild

How would you recrommend checking the pack voltage? Thanks
Old 05-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

If you're a novice on electric carts, the best place to check pack voltage is at the cart charger receptacle.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #6
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The voltage of one or more of your batteries may be dropping excessively under heavy load due to high internal resistance. First thing would be to clean and tighten all the cable connections to your batteries, make sure batteries are fully charged, then try it. If still a problem, you could then do a load test on each battery to see if one or more is dropping more voltage than the others. What I did when I had a similar problem was to connect my DVM to a battery, then accelerate to full speed while reading the DVM (a helper makes the process easier but can be done alone). Do this once for each battery, and record the results. Post results here if you need more help. Usually what you will see is the voltage dropping quite a bit at first then recovering to a higher value as full speed is reached. The current draw is higher initially before the cart starts to move, then goes down as the cart comes up to speed. With my problem, one battery was so bad it went to "0" initially, then came back to only 2.5 volts at full speed - not good . I'm sure others will have more suggestions, but that worked for me. Good luck - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:12 PM   #7
beebe31
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Ray this info is very helpful. I will run the test and keep ya posted on the results
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO