lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 06 PDS is dead with new batteries

If you don't have voltage on J1 Pin-4, the reed switch is bad.

Make a jumper wire and connect the red wire that is now connected to the small white wire coming out of the charge receptacle to the main positive terminal on the battery pack.

That will give you voltage on both pins 4 & 5 on J1 and the rest of the voltages should magically appear.

If not, more troubleshooting is needed.

BTW - Having voltage on both large terminal of the solenoid is normal if the pre-charge resistor is installed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charger receptacle with top off.jpg (71.7 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #12
cmar143
Gone Wild

Just Ron a wire from the positive side screw to red wire directly and bypass that black piece? That's the reed switch? Why would there be no power at white or white/yellow at controller with harness plugged in? The reed switch could cut all power and not even get solenoid to click or reverse buzzer to work?
cmar143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmar143 View Post
1. Just Ron a wire from the positive side screw to red wire directly and bypass that black piece?
2. That's the reed switch?
3. Why would there be no power at white or white/yellow at controller with harness plugged in?
4. The reed switch could cut all power and not even get solenoid to click or reverse buzzer to work?
1. Many people just run a wire from the main positive terminal on the battery pack, but connecting it directly to the positive charger terminal will work as well. Anything that will get the battery pack voltage on the red wire going to J1 Pin-4.

2. Yes the black blob is the reed switch.

3. The controller supplies voltage to the keyswitch on J1 Pin-9 (White wire) and the controller is disabled when there is no voltage on J1 Pin-4.

4. With two exceptions, J1 Pins 4 and 5, the controller supplies voltage to all control switches, the solenoid and the reverse beeper. If either of those two pins does not have battery pack voltage on it, the controller is effectively dead.

-----------
The purpose of the reed switch was to disable cart so it couldn't be driven away while the charger was plugged into it.
The reed switch is a magnetic switch and a magnet in the charger plug opens it.
The reed switch had a bad habit of failing at the most inopportune times, so EZGO stopped installing them in later year carts. I'm not sure what year they stopped.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I've dissect two reed switches, and they were small glass reed switches, potted in a plastic case. Both of mine failed after charging. The magnet in the charger plug pulls the switch contacts open. They are normally closed. In my case, both times it occurred after removing the charger plug. Since the contacts were pulled open while charging, small pieces of glass shifted, preventing the contacts from closing.

It's probably possible for this to occur while driving as well.

I also simply attached a ring terminal to the white wire and landed it where the red wire was connected. You'll note on the pic above, they were kind enough to make the triangular "groove" where the wire fits, accessible from either the reed switch or from outside.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #15
cmar143
Gone Wild

The cart charges fine so does that mean the reed switch is good? It has no continuity without charger plugged in
Old 03-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #16
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Charging is independent of the reed switch. If you read continuity on the reed switch when the plug is OUT, it's good - for now. If you're reading continuity when it's in, but not when it's out, it's fried. Once the glass is shattered, you basically have two wires, one of which is attracted to the magnet in the charger plug so...
Old 03-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #17
cmar143
Gone Wild

I am reading no continuity when the plug is out so I guess it's bad
Old 03-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #18
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Yep. Just do as I did and connect a ring terminal to the white wire, or if you don't have one, solder the red and white wire together, bypassing the reed switch.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #19
cmar143
Gone Wild

Problem solved...bad reed switch. Thanks so much for the help!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO