lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
seanlibbert
Not Yet Wild

Default Just Bought 2003 EZGO TXT Need Advice?

Hey, guys... New to the forum.

I just bought my very first golf cart this evening. I 'think' I got a steal. I picked it up for $1,000, had to buy one battery, and its off to the races. I think I have to put a little cash into it, thats where you fine folks come in so you can direct me :)

Its a little slow, probably because it has been neglected and lack of charge. I won't know till morning.

I looked up the serial number on the EZGO website and it says I have a 2003 TXT Standard. Not sure what this all means. I am looking all around the forum and I am getting confused with PDS, DSC, Series, etc.

Can you guys help?

Manuf Code: E103
Serial No: 1596895

The F/R is below the seat next to my right leg if I am sitting down. It is NOT on the dash. The serial number was located in the right side glove box area. It was upgraded to a 4 seater.

What do I have?

Also, what are some simple upgrades that I can do to give it some more power/torque?

I plan on checking the battery tomorrow to see which ones are alive, dead, etc. They all look beat except for the new one I bought this evening. I had to break the plastic piece that holds the batteries in because it was corroded to the bolts.

Thanks for any advice!!!

Sean
seanlibbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #2
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Just Bought 2003 EZGO TXT Need Advice?

You have a series cart meaning it has a series wound motor and appropriate controller. Your body style is called a TXT. PDS, DCS refers to carts with sepex motors. Sepex motors and controllers are not compatible with series carts so when thinking about upgrades and repair refer to parts and wiring diagrams for [I]series[I] carts.
Batteries are the heart of an electric cart so the first thing to do is determine their health. The next thing is to decide what you want the cart to be used for in the end. Hunting buggy, street cruiser, lifted? Is speed important? What kind of terrain, street, off road? The more info you provide the better the advise will be from people on this forum.
Pictures help a lot!

Welcome!
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
You have a series cart meaning it has a series wound motor and appropriate controller. Your body style is called a TXT. PDS, DCS refers to carts with sepex motors. Sepex motors and controllers are not compatible with series carts so when thinking about upgrades and repair refer to parts and wiring diagrams for [I]series[I] carts.
Batteries are the heart of an electric cart so the first thing to do is determine their health. The next thing is to decide what you want the cart to be used for in the end. Hunting buggy, street cruiser, lifted? Is speed important? What kind of terrain, street, off road? The more info you provide the better the advise will be from people on this forum.
Pictures help a lot!

Welcome!

With the kernel the batts are the heart & soul of the cart ,but you could be asking for problems if you replace one or two batts with brand new batts , you may have to get a whole set , or replace the one or two batts that are faulty with
Ones that are the same age as your pack
Cheers!
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
seanlibbert
Not Yet Wild

Here's a pic of the beast. I did replace one battery that was bad. The rest look really old. The guy who had it didn't take care of it at all.

I just went up a hill and it was really sluggish. I definitely will need to speed this cart up or at least have it power through the hills.

Suggestions?

I am not interested in spending thousands. I am not interested in paint, rims, lift, etc. Just want it to go go go! :)

Thanks!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364079113.382664.jpg
Old 03-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Series carts don't, Go, Go, Go. unless you mean slow go. They are not speedsters they are high torque hill climbers. First things first. Replace all the batteries. Clean and grease all electrical connections. Air up all tires to proper pressures and replace the original 6 gauge main voltage cables with 4 gauge. You might also take the time to put grease in all the zerks and re-grease the front hubs. Try draining the rear end grease and replace it too. Then you will begin to have an idea of what you have bought.
The picture shows a decent looking machine that is well worth the price you paid. A bit of care and some replacement parts and it should serve you well.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

To speed up a series motor, you can increase the voltage to 48 volts, which means you need a new controller, solenoid and charger. While changing your controller, you can up the amperage, which means you'll need heavier cables, HD FNR and solenoid. Then with the added torque from higher amperage controller, you can get bigger tires and/or a high speed motor.

My series buggy goes pretty darned fast, but I spent a fair amount doing so.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
seanlibbert
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the replies!

Very confused at this point. Do I drop $1K+ on this or throw it back on Craigslist and buy a different cart now that I am in the know.

Obviously I should start with the batteries. That's a no brainer. Cheapest place to get them?

Then give the cart a "tune up". I suppose I will go from there. As long as it will climb the hills at the same speed or close to as it drives on the flat, I will be happy!

Thanks again!!!
Old 03-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
seanlibbert
Not Yet Wild

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364081387.783172.jpg

Check out these warlocks. LOL!!! :(
Old 03-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlibbert View Post
Obviously I should start with the batteries. That's a no brainer. Cheapest place to get them?

Then give the cart a "tune up". I suppose I will go from there. As long as it will climb the hills at the same speed or close to as it drives on the flat, I will be happy!

Thanks again!!!
Cheapest place to get batteries is locally. You'll have to call around.

As to going uphill the same speed as on flat, it ain't gonna happen. Of course it's dependent on tire size, weight, and speed on flat, but most all buggies will slow down up a steep hill, though I don't know about the RXVs.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #10
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yurtle, you're right. I should have prefaced my comment with: In stock form.....
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO