lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
Huskerlarry
Not Yet Wild

Default 1979 Marathon golf cart

Hey guys and gals 1st post by the way. I purchased a 1979 36V electric golf cart yesterday. It runs but it needs new batteries. I also would like to replace the motor with a high torque one since my course is quite hilly. I could use your guys help trying to find the right motor for it. Does lifting the cart help with anything or just the looks? Is there anything else that I need to upgrade if I change out the motor? Thanks for all your help in advance.
Huskerlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
deltaboy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1979 Marathon golf cart

i have a 79 too. youll see a difference upgrading all high current wires to 4g. our carts (unless already upgraded) are resister carts. its the coil that 4 wires go to between the motor and left rear tire. its not efficient. uses the same amount of battery power whether we go slow or full blast. the best upgrade that we can do is convert it to a controller cart. that replaces the resistors. scottyb here sells several different upgrades. iv heard the position that our motors are located (in front of the axle instead of being on top) may give us problems for the upgrade because of lack of room, but not sure about that. also i read since our cart is a series cart, we can go up to a 48 volt pack and get, i believe it is 30% more torque from our 36v series motor. you can lift it and put on taller tires and that will give you alittle more speed and loose a little torque. iv understood though that its not really a good idea to do that to a cart with a resister. iv heard some golf courses dont allow lifted carts on the course so might be a good idea to check first. im sure some guys with with more knowledge about the carts can give you better details or more advice than i can. im still learning too.
deltaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
Huskerlarry
Not Yet Wild

Delta thanks for the information I talked to someone yesterday about the oldie and he said the same thing about upgrading to 48V would be a huge increase. I'm not sure where the other two batteries would go though. He also mentioned that he could have the current motor rewound for speed or torque whichever I preferred for around $300 rather than purchasing a new motor. I think with the motor rewound new batteries and new 4g wires that should help a lot but that's a lot of cash to put into that old of a cart not sure if the juice would be worth the squeeze
Huskerlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
deltaboy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

you can go with 6-8v batts to get 48v or you can go with 8-6v batts to get the 48v. if you go with the 8 batts, people usually put them in the bag well and you get the added amp hours (Ah) of the extra two batteries. most people do have their motors reworked rather than buying a new one. a lot cheaper that way. i havent looked into the motor rout so i really dont know much about it yet. if you go up to 48v, youll have to buy a 48v charger. new i think they run $300 plus range. i just bought mine a few months ago and changed every wire in the cart and replaced the key switch. my next goal is to get new batteries. 12 hours after full charge they hold at 36.2v, so thats slightly less than 50% charge. for a 36v pack 100% is 38.2v. iv heard its not good on a batt pack to go less than 50%, 40% tops which is 35.8v. im still debating on how much i want to put into it myself. it will be a long project if i decide to keep it.
deltaboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
an oldie
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO