lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-2014, 06:16 PM   #1
jay1028
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Desulfator on new pack?

In another month, I will be getting new 6 new T105s. I have used a desulfator on my old batteries to get 6 years out of them. I didn't start using the desulfator until the pack was getting weak, it allowed me to get another year out of them. I believe I could have done better if it was not for two of the batteries used to run the lights. Stupid EZGO standard light kit when I got the cart. It should not be allowed. I have since gotten a 36v to 12 converter.

What is the consensus on using a desulfator on a new battery install?
jay1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-20-2014, 06:21 PM   #2
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Desulfator on new pack?

Snake Oil in my opinion.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Mine too. Keep them charged and you don't need a desulphator.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:23 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I have personally tested "Battery life saver" on a junker battery pack off a course with nice results (turned a 44min pack into a 70+ min pack, they were sitting unused for a while). If you leave your cart unattended, then disconnect it while you are gone, as they do use power.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:25 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay1028 View Post
In another month, I will be getting new 6 new T105s. I have used a desulfator on my old batteries to get 6 years out of them. I didn't start using the desulfator until the pack was getting weak, it allowed me to get another year out of them. I believe I could have done better if it was not for two of the batteries used to run the lights. Stupid EZGO standard light kit when I got the cart. It should not be allowed. I have since gotten a 36v to 12 converter.

What is the consensus on using a desulfator on a new battery install?
If you've got it, use it.

While I believe the battery "additive" type desulfators are snake oil, I am convinced some of the electronic devices have merit, or at least convinced enough to buy one.

My Exide batteries are going on two years old and with little exception, they have either been on charge or float charge while the cart wasn't being driven, but aging is inevitable and they are aging, so I bought a BLS and will be installing it later on this summer.

Basically, as cgtech illustrated, the BLS can recover some of the lost storage capacity in aged (sulfated plates), but otherwise good batteries. However, new batteries haven't lost capacity due to aging yet, so there is nothing to recover, but it will slow the aging process due to more lead sulfate being returned to lead, lead dioxide and sulfuric acid during the recharge cycle.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:38 AM   #6
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
If you've got it, use it.

While I believe the battery "additive" type desulfators are snake oil, I am convinced some of the electronic devices have merit, or at least convinced enough to buy one.

My Exide batteries are going on two years old and with little exception, they have either been on charge or float charge while the cart wasn't being driven, but aging is inevitable and they are aging, so I bought a BLS and will be installing it later on this summer.

Basically, as cgtech illustrated, the BLS can recover some of the lost storage capacity in aged (sulfated plates), but otherwise good batteries. However, new batteries haven't lost capacity due to aging yet, so there is nothing to recover, but it will slow the aging process due to more lead sulfate being returned to lead, lead dioxide and sulfuric acid during the recharge cycle.
X2 I use one and am convinced it works.
Olman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:29 AM   #7
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

An interesting discussion on desulfators.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2546865
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:32 AM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

The BLS was discussed a month or so back. The consensus was it made sense. If I recall, it runs until the batteries reach a certain SOC, then it turns off.

Has anyone used one of these with a radio? Does it cause interference on either AM or FM?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:44 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
The BLS was discussed a month or so back. The consensus was it made sense. If I recall, it runs until the batteries reach a certain SOC, then it turns off.

Has anyone used one of these with a radio? Does it cause interference on either AM or FM?
As a result of that discussion, I looked up the patent (attached) on the BLS and the technical information therein, along with some other research, is what convinced me to buy one.

Basically, charging with straight-line DC current reduces amorphous (soft) lead sulfate back to lead (negative plates), lead dioxide (positive plates) and sulfuric acid (electrolyte), but if the soft lead sulfate is allowed to sit for any length of time, it transforms into crystalline (hard) lead sulfate, which does not revert back to its original chemical compounds as easily and when straight-line DC current alone is used to recharge the battery, some lead sulfate crystals remain embedded in the plates. As the crystals accumulate and grow, they block more and more of the active surfaces and the storage capacity of the battery decreases. This process is know as aging.

Crystalline structures have a resonate frequency and if sufficient power is applied at that frequency, the crystal will shatter. When the crystals in crystalline lead sulfate shatter, it returns to being amorphous (which means: without shape or structure) and will again reduce back to its original chemistry.

The resonate frequency of a crystal depends on it size and shape and the typical resonate frequency for lead sulfate crystals found in battery plates are in the 10kHz to 52kHz range. A square wave contains all the frequencies above its base frequency, so the BLS pings the battery with square waves with a base frequency below 10kHZ and shatters a wide range of sizes and shapes of lead sulfate crystals.
--------------------

The BLS is powered by the battery pack it is attached to, so it does discharge them. The later models have a low voltage cutoff, so they won't discharge the pack below a preset voltage (IIRC: it is 80% SoC). The earlier units would, so they came with a switch you could add in-line and manually disconnect it as needed.

The square wave it puts out is roughly equal to the battery pack voltage and superimposed on the battery pack voltage. That means, pack voltages will read higher while the BLS is running and will be inaccurate for SoC estimates, so my plan is to install a 12V relay that will disconnect the BLS while my 12V voltage reduces is running.
---------------------

As for interfering with radios, probably no more than the controller does.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf US7374839B2.pdf (91.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:12 PM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Thanks. I get no interference on mine, and was considering buying one.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO