lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2014, 07:59 PM   #1
canman83
Not Yet Wild

Default New to club car and have a couple questions

Hello all, I'm brand new to the forums and club car. I have a couple of questions. My cart is a 2011 precedent serial #PH1125-200452.

1) I'm coming out of an older ez-go that would almost stop going up hills. The new cart slows down going up hills also. It has brand new Trojan batteries. It reads 9.3 volts on all batteries when the charger is on. It is programmed to speed 3. It doesn't stop but does slow down. Is this normal?

2) I noticed when going down hills it feels like something holds it back from picking up speed. Does it have some sort of governor? If so is there a way to remove it? Reason I ask where we camp theres a lot of up and down hills. If its normal for the cart to slow down going up I would like it to pick up momentum going down.

3) After riding the cart for about 10 mins I lifted the seat and one of the jumpers was really hot. All the rest were warm but one was Hot. I could keep my hand on it but much hotter I wouldn't be able too.

Thanks for the help.
canman83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2014, 11:33 AM   #2
toddblazer
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

1. Yes this is normal. 2. It'd does have a governor, easy way to bypass is a speed magnet. It it's roughly $40 on eBay. 3. I've not checked mine for heat
toddblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:28 PM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: New to club car and have a couple questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by canman83 View Post
Hello all, I'm brand new to the forums and club car. I have a couple of questions. My cart is a 2011 precedent serial #PH1125-200452.

1) I'm coming out of an older ez-go that would almost stop going up hills. The new cart slows down going up hills also. It has brand new Trojan batteries. It reads 9.3 volts on all batteries when the charger is on. It is programmed to speed 3. It doesn't stop but does slow down. Is this normal?

2) I noticed when going down hills it feels like something holds it back from picking up speed. Does it have some sort of governor? If so is there a way to remove it? Reason I ask where we camp theres a lot of up and down hills. If its normal for the cart to slow down going up I would like it to pick up momentum going down.

3) After riding the cart for about 10 mins I lifted the seat and one of the jumpers was really hot. All the rest were warm but one was Hot. I could keep my hand on it but much hotter I wouldn't be able too.

Thanks for the help.
1) The stock club car motor will develop its maximum torque around 2000 rpm, which is about 9mph.

2) The regen controller will not let You exceed (by much) the maximum speed set for code 3 which is around 14.7mph, You may peak at 16mph or so on a big hill. Speed Magnets, code 5 or speedlinks will not work on the Excel carts like the PH serial number you have.

3) Heat on those cables is not good, You should definitely check all battery connections and high amperage connections to make sure they are clean and tight. You may also want to consider upgrading those cables from the standard 6ga to 4ga or 2ga.
You will need to get a stud to go thru the OBC as the larger cables will not fit.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
canman83
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
1) The stock club car motor will develop its maximum torque around 2000 rpm, which is about 9mph.

2) The regen controller will not let You exceed (by much) the maximum speed set for code 3 which is around 14.7mph, You may peak at 16mph or so on a big hill. Speed Magnets, code 5 or speedlinks will not work on the Excel carts like the PH serial number you have.

3) Heat on those cables is not good, You should definitely check all battery connections and high amperage connections to make sure they are clean and tight. You may also want to consider upgrading those cables from the standard 6ga to 4ga or 2ga.
You will need to get a stud to go thru the OBC as the larger cables will not fit.
Thanks for the info.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:08 PM   #5
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddblazer View Post
1. Yes this is normal. 2. It'd does have a governor, easy way to bypass is a speed magnet. It it's roughly $40 on eBay. 3. I've not checked mine for heat
The speed magnet will not work on an Excel cart which is what the OP has....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:36 AM   #6
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

As far as your hot cable(s), check your connections on each end and the integrity of the cable itself. I had one get loose and get so hot it melted the post right off the battery.

By the way, if you want professional opinions, make that specific in your posts here. While there are some professionals that post here, most of us are cart enthusiasts, not professionals, and can often give good advice, based on experience, but we do not wrench carts for a living.

Last edited by lockman1; 08-20-2014 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: Edited/Lockman1
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:08 AM   #7
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Actually SaltLifeCC answer was spot on... Would you not expect a cart to slow down some going uphill? Does your car not slow down going up hill if your don't apply more power?

(1) You do not judge battery strength by reading voltage while still attached to a charger. You read battery voltage after 12 to 16 hours of rest after charging.

(2) Regen braking is slowing you down while going down hills. You can have the program changed to reduce regen braking but I'm not sure if you can turn it off. Also SC4 will increase your speed both on the flat and while going down hill; not likely to help with the up hill battle.

(3) If any one cable is much hotter than the rest then there is more resistance in that one cable and most likely you have a loose and/or dirty connection. You need to find and fix this soon.

Last edited by lockman1; 08-20-2014 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: Edited/Lockman1
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:26 PM   #8
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Keep it civil everyone... this is a public forum!
I don't care WHO started it... but, it stops here!

Got it?
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:33 PM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by canman83 View Post

Thanks for the help.
1. Yes, this is perfectly normal. If you don't want it to slow down going uphill, you need to upgrade it with a higher amp controller and a higher HP motor. (You have the Excel drive system. Parts are limited as of now. It's still rather new. You have the option to replace the main vehicle wire harness with an IQ system wire harness and open up a world of possibilities for upgrades)

2. Downhill speed is regulated by speed sensor/controller communication. When the controller detects that you are running the maximum programmed speed (4 speed settings) it backs off the power and slows you down automatically. It's a safety feature for golf course use.

3. Replace that wire. If it still gets hot, you may have a partial short internally in one of your batteries.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:18 PM   #10
canman83
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
1. Yes, this is perfectly normal. If you don't want it to slow down going uphill, you need to upgrade it with a higher amp controller and a higher HP motor. (You have the Excel drive system. Parts are limited as of now. It's still rather new. You have the option to replace the main vehicle wire harness with an IQ system wire harness and open up a world of possibilities for upgrades)

2. Downhill speed is regulated by speed sensor/controller communication. When the controller detects that you are running the maximum programmed speed (4 speed settings) it backs off the power and slows you down automatically. It's a safety feature for golf course use.

3. Replace that wire. If it still gets hot, you may have a partial short internally in one of your batteries.
Thanks, I did talk to plum quick today about doing the bandit motor upgrade. It sounds like that will fix question 1 and 2. He's also not very far from me. I will try replacing the cable and see what that does.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car