lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-16-2017, 03:57 PM   #1
Rayferd
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default 2008 EZGO RXV Auto Braking Not Holding Cart

Hey y'all I'm working on a 2008 Ezgo RXV 48V with the auto braking system on the AC motor setup. My issue is that the brakes work when you press the pedal, but are not holding for the parking/hill brake function. On an incline it goes through quick cycles of grabbing, then releasing. I've replaced the solenoid as I've seen they had issues with them causing brakes to lock up. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Rayferd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-16-2017, 06:56 PM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2008 EZGO RXV Auto Braking Not Holding Cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayferd View Post
Hey y'all I'm working on a 2008 Ezgo RXV 48V with the auto braking system on the AC motor setup. My issue is that the brakes work when you press the pedal, but are not holding for the parking/hill brake function. On an incline it goes through quick cycles of grabbing, then releasing. I've replaced the solenoid as I've seen they had issues with them causing brakes to lock up. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
The grab and release may be indicating a fault in the motor brake coil drawing too much current (EM Brake OC Error). If that is what is happening, allowing it to continue can burn out the FET in the controller that controls the motor brake. Unplug the motor brake and using the low ohms scale on an ohmmeter, measure the resistance of the motor brake coil. Normal is 25 to 28 ohms. If it is below 20 ohms, it will draw too much current and cause problems. It will also cause other problems if it is too high, like not releasing well. If it is outside of the normal range, look into buying a new replacement. The new ones are better than the OEM motor brakes that were originally used on the 2008 RXVs.

The brakes on an RXV are regenerative, so it's the AC motor that is used to slow you down and stop you, then the EM brake (motor brake) is powered off to engage as a parking brake. The EM brake is powered on to release when you press the throttle pedal.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:22 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Yep, the braking used to Keep/Hold your cart stopped after it comes to a stop is the mechanical motor brake. If it slips on hills, it needs replaced. If you have never done a brake on a 2008, it is time for one.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:24 PM   #4
Rayferd
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thanks, Bob. I'll give it a shot in the morning.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:25 PM   #5
Rayferd
Getting Wild

Club Car

Right on, Cg. I believe it is the original.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:27 PM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

If you got 8 years out of it, you did better than many. I am amazed when I see a original "lever brake" still working on a old Rxv. You only have to push the lever the wrong direction once to ruin it.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:03 AM   #7
Rayferd
Getting Wild

Club Car

So I went to the brake and tested voltage and started to take it off and that is as far as I had to go to tell it's wrecked haha.

New issue: when turning key from off to R or F it sometimes doesn't wanna go anywhere until I cycle the key again, sometimes twice. Would that be caused by the motor no being locked by the brake? It is on a very slight incline and when it doesn't want to move it feels like the regen braking is trying to hold the cart. When you cycle the key and you don't feel that, the cart moves fine.
I appreciate all the guidance so far guys.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:51 AM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

New brake, disturbing it was not a good idea. You were supposed to test it with a volt meter, not a wrench. Also, the bolts are very sensitive to their torque, and it's easy to overtighten them.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:17 AM   #9
Rayferd
Getting Wild

Club Car

I tested it with a meter. figured brake was inop. pulled one bolt and it came out covered with brake material which confimed my suspicions. I discovered the not moving issue before I did all the above^
Old 01-17-2017, 06:41 PM   #10
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayferd View Post
So I went to the brake and tested voltage and started to take it off and that is as far as I had to go to tell it's wrecked haha.

New issue: when turning key from off to R or F it sometimes doesn't wanna go anywhere until I cycle the key again, sometimes twice. Would that be caused by the motor no being locked by the brake? It is on a very slight incline and when it doesn't want to move it feels like the regen braking is trying to hold the cart. When you cycle the key and you don't feel that, the cart moves fine.
I appreciate all the guidance so far guys.
Yes, when the brake fails test it causes an error that can prevent the cart from operating.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, braking, ezgo, rxv
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO