lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-20-2017, 05:58 PM   #11
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Help, Have a killed my batteries? T875

That is still very low. Nowhere near charged. They should be way over 13Volts.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-20-2017, 09:21 PM   #12
myeallan
Not Yet Wild

Well things are going in the right direction, but something isn't totally right. The charger was putting out 59V for a while, but the Amp meter on the charger was reading 0. After about an hour, voltage was about the same, and then shut off. I unplugged everything, reconnected, the charger turned back on, Amps went up to maybe 5A max (seems very low given the SOC), then ran for a while then it turned off. I just check it, voltage is down to 46V, unplugged/replugged the charger, now the amps went up to 10A.

Unfortunately I'm leaving out of town tomorrow for 3 days. I'll see how it is when I get back. I don't want to leave the charger on while I'm gone.

thanks for all the help
myeallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:46 PM   #13
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The super low batteries have a hard time accepting amps. That's why 59v & low amps on dead batteries. Keep up the charging cycles and you will see the amps start coming up. When that happens, you will see longer & longer charge cycles until the batteries come back to life. Keep doing what you are doing, it'll work. I put a manual override toggle switch on my old 48v Lester to allow me to shorten the process by keeping the charger on until the amps start to rise. I then turn off the override switch, Unplug and replug charger dc cord & let the board take over. Even with that modification, it will still take a few charges to get everything as good as it can be. I agree on not leaving it on unattended at this point, this is a unapproved thing going on here.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:13 AM   #14
myeallan
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Help, Have I killed my batteries? T875

Thanks cgtech, that is encouraging!
When I went to finally shut every down in the garage last night, I heard the batteries bubbling before I disconnected the charger- at least that is what it sounded like. Is this normal and/or ok?
Old 03-21-2017, 07:29 AM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Bubbling sound is normal and necessary. This release of hydrogen gasses will help stir up the heavy metals which have all separated from the water and settled to the bottom of the cells. You need all of this bubbling sound you can get - these batteries are still going to need replacing. I would be surprised if they are going to recoup beyond getting you a short ride around the neighborhood.

If you are serious about wanting a cart it's time to get new batteries.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:15 AM   #16
mikec557
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Marc

I know it seems like a lot of money, but that DPI charger is worth its weight in gold (especially if you're frequently leaving town). Plug the cart in, always leave it plugged in, and leave town whenever and for as long as you need. You'll return home and your batteries will be in great shape (though maybe not this set of batteries). I don't know what it would cost to get it to Canada, but definitely a must have item.

Good luck
Mike
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:28 PM   #17
myeallan
Not Yet Wild

I checked this morning, batteries were at 44V from overnight. When I'm back Thursday, I'll keep going with cycling the charge.
Hopefully they more/less recover, but it is what it is.

Mikec557, I'll take a look at those chargers. I have solar right now that I use when camping which works well when the sun is cooperating. but for sure there are situations where a good charger would help
Marc
Old 03-21-2017, 05:33 PM   #18
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
That is still very low. Nowhere near charged. They should be way over 13Volts.
They are T875's - 8 volt batteries. They will only get to 10 or 11 volts, to be fully charged
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:16 PM   #19
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

What temperature were those batteries in when they were run down? You might be lucky, if they were cold but not frozen, they might come through with minimal damage. Up here I've seen starting batts go through this in winter and somehow the cold saves them from terminal damage [if they didn't freeze solid].
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:56 AM   #20
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Keep going, I have saved worse. But don't expect "like new" results. Everyone may be "nay-sayers". While you were busy with life, the comments have poured in. The best thing would be buy a whole new set, but in the real world it's not always that way. Like I said, I have saved worse situations, sometimes with results that would pass muster for a "60 minute" result. I have been amazed before with worse looking batteries.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO