lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2018, 04:43 PM   #1
MPrimeaux
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 36V Medalist Series vs. DCS??

Hello everyone. I'm new to buggies and the forum and have my first question. I recently ran across a pretty good deal on 2 36V '95 Medalists. One appears to be DCS (has a 3 position FnR switch instead of a lever) and the other one appears to be a series cart (with the familiar FnR lever). I'm going to fix one of them up to keep and probably sell the other. I will be using it mostly for running around the yard and in camp grounds, but do plan on using it in the woods to go to and from the deer stand and such. I have about 200 yds of a steady uphill climb to get to my stand. Although it's not super steep as I live in Louisiana, it is pretty long and I plan on using my cart to carry corn and gear. I also plan on adding a back seat to carry 4 people. I have already ordered a 6" lift and some 12" wheels with 22" all terrains to go on it. Other than camping and an occasional trip to the deer stand, I plan to use it around the yard to haul a small trailer to pick up limbs, etc. My question is which is better for my application. I'm sure that I will want a little more speed, but torque will be an issue also. I plan on getting an upgraded controller and all the goods and possibly swapping to 48V when I do it, but was hoping not to have to buy another charger. Any an all help would be greatly appreciated. TIA
MPrimeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2018, 04:58 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 36V Medalist Series vs. DCS??

Series is the workhorse version. If you want to go to 48v, And want your batteries to last, you have no choice but to get a 48v charger.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:03 PM   #3
MPrimeaux
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

thanks cg... that's what I've read. I wouldn't dream of going 48V without changing the charger, I was just wondering if I NEEDED to change to 48V to get the results that I'm looking for. Trying to avoid buying a controller and solenoid.....twice. Between series and DCS, is one easier/cheaper to upgrade?
Old 07-21-2018, 05:15 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Both are equally easy to upgrade, but series cart will require a F&R switch upgrade as well. All the Alltrax controllers can be used at 36v or 48v. And ScottyB's www.cartsunlimited.net has cable sets and solenoids that can work with 36 or 48v.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:22 PM   #5
MPrimeaux
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

thanks cg. I have been all over cartsunlimited. Didn't realize that was ScottyB's. I messed up and ordered a HD F&R switch, and then saw that his kits come with it. I was going to just return and order from cartsunlimited. Just trying to figure out which cart to go with. Sorry to keep bothering you, but do you have an opinion on the 36V/48V decision that I have to make....considering what I'm going to use the cart for? Do you think 36V will do what I need it to?
Old 07-22-2018, 09:50 AM   #6
MPrimeaux
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Hate to bother everyone, but I plan on moving forward with my project this week. Does anyone have any experience with using a 36V cart the way I plan on using it?
Old 07-22-2018, 01:10 PM   #7
CrazyDad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrimeaux View Post
thanks cg. I have been all over cartsunlimited. Didn't realize that was ScottyB's. I messed up and ordered a HD F&R switch, and then saw that his kits come with it. I was going to just return and order from cartsunlimited. Just trying to figure out which cart to go with. Sorry to keep bothering you, but do you have an opinion on the 36V/48V decision that I have to make....considering what I'm going to use the cart for? Do you think 36V will do what I need it to?
For a hunting buggie series all day long since you have both already. You can creep slowly to see wildlife loaded with weight and not overheat and damage the motor. Get the carts unlimited 500 amp full kit with 2ga wires for 48 volt. You can use it at 36 volts for now if your batteries are newer and the same longer wires will work when you upgrade. This way later IF you want/need more your ready for a bigger motor. I don’t think you’ll be at 36 for long as this is an addiction and you’ll want the 33% bump in power that 48v brings.
CrazyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:14 PM   #8
MPrimeaux
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDad View Post
For a hunting buggie series all day long since you have both already. You can creep slowly to see wildlife loaded with weight and not overheat and damage the motor. Get the carts unlimited 500 amp full kit with 2ga wires for 48 volt. You can use it at 36 volts for now if your batteries are newer and the same longer wires will work when you upgrade. This way later IF you want/need more your ready for a bigger motor. I don’t think you’ll be at 36 for long as this is an addiction and you’ll want the 33% bump in power that 48v brings.
Roger that. Sounds reasonable. Thanks for the input. I wasn't sure if the 48V would just give me more speed, which in the grand scheme of things isn't necessarily what I will be using most of the time.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO