lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2019, 09:04 PM   #1
Bmay432
Not Yet Wild

Default Swapping 48 volt chargers.

I bought a 48 volt 2004 club car ds with no charger. I have a 48 volt Links charger from I believe a FairPlay golf cart. It had a two prong crow foot plug. I bought a three pin club car plug and put it on the charger and it will not charge. I can jump a wire from the fused wire on the back of the charging port and run it to the main negative post and it charges just fine. My concern is, is this safe and will this charger stop charging on it's own when the batteries are full or will I have to manually stop it.
(I disconnected the wire that runs to the obc)
Bmay432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2019, 09:26 PM   #2
Bmay432
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Swapping 48 volt chargers.

I tried to post pictures for a better understanding but I cannot figure out how to post them
Old 07-12-2019, 10:58 PM   #3
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

I think there is a post count that you need to get to before you can post pictures but I can't remember what it is.

There are a couple of ways you can post images but the easiest is:

When you are composing a message there is a paperclip symbol on the top line. If you click on that a pop up window appears called manage attachments. Click on the first "Choose File" button and it will allow you to find the image file on your computer (jpg files are the best - the max sizes of files are shown in that pop up). Choose your file and choose the Open button. You will now be back at the pop up window with the name of the file showing. Press the Upload button. The name of the file will appear under the heading Current Attachments. You can now close the window.

If you Preview your post it should have the image on the bottom after the text. When you submit your post that's how it will look.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:35 AM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Those are two totally different type chargers. The OEM 3-prong is utilized on your cart for the sense wire to work with the Powerdrive. The OBC controls all of its functions. I am not sure which specific Links you have, but since it was a 2 prong it is not designed to work with that system. The reason it works with the jumper in place is the original Black 10g wire there runs thru the OBC and it is not being triggered. The jumper bypasses that.

You need to look that specific charger up and see if it is a timed charger, ferroresonant or how it works. Just because it comes on does not necessarily mean it is using a charge profile. It could be just pushing current in and builds up voltage as it pushes down amperage.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:56 AM   #5
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Oh how i hate the OBC, if given a chance i will yank them out like poison ivy. They make bypass kits that will provide "LOCK OUT" during changing. however there is great info on this site for the DIY. Research a little about the Charger battery profile for your Links & yes just because its on does not mean its doing what it should be doing. i really like those SUMMITT II chargers...sweet
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:35 PM   #6
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
Oh how i hate the OBC, if given a chance i will yank them out like poison ivy. They make bypass kits that will provide "LOCK OUT" during changing. however there is great info on this site for the DIY. Research a little about the Charger battery profile for your Links & yes just because its on does not mean its doing what it should be doing. i really like those SUMMITT II chargers...sweet
There is no need for a bypass kit, everything you need is here in the sticky http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...bypassing.html.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:47 AM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Need to know the exact model number of the Links charger.
It may work, but Lester makes several different “Links” series chargers and we need to know exactly which one you have before we can say if that one will work for your cart without doing other modification.

If the original plug was a 2 pin plug, it’s probably a ferroresonant type charger and will work well enough, but it would be far from ideal.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:43 PM   #8
Bmay432
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the reply’s.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:41 AM   #9
Lochlin
Gone Wild

A pic would help. A lot of those links chargers had Anderson connectors. If that's the case I would just run a couple of new charge cables to your pack and connect them with an Anderson. If the charger doesn't have an Anderson then things are a bit more complicated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3BY20_AS02.jpg (14.3 KB, 0 views)
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car