lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2019, 07:29 PM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2001 EzGo 36v Sepex Upgrade

If the SW180 comes with a coil that is compatible with a 42V battery pack, it will do just fine.

It's been about 8 years since I installed my MZJ400 and it was the only one at the time that would work with 36V, 42V and 48V battery packs, and I haven't kept abreast of what is now available.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-03-2019, 08:11 PM   #12
tekkski
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

How would the stock motor hold up on 48v? Getting close to making a decision and if I go to 42v, which would necessitate a new charger, it is possible I may just choose to go the 48v route.
tekkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 10:12 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkski View Post
How would the stock motor hold up on 48v? Getting close to making a decision and if I go to 42v, which would necessitate a new charger, it is possible I may just choose to go the 48v route.
Heat is what kills motors and amps is what generates heat. It is true that 48V can force more amps through the same resistance than 42V can, but it takes fewer amps at 48V to do the same amount of work than it does at 42V, so in general terms, a stock PDS motor runs cooler on 48V than it does on 42V.

The stock PDS motor can only tolerate 400A or so and if you don't exceed that for more than short bursts occasionally, the motor ought to last for years at 36V, 42V or 48V.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:22 AM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Mathematically JB is correct. In real world tests I've noticed the PDS/DCS 36v motors on 48v tend to run like a scared rabbit. The result is an abrupt start which you can alter with the Alltrax XCT and a possible shortened useful life.
Although I have not run one on 48 long enough to wear it out... these opinion are just my own based upon trial runs. Your results may vary
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:02 PM   #15
tekkski
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you both, very informative and to the point. I think I have what I need to make up my mind.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:06 PM   #16
tekkski
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I managed to find a video of someone who went the 48v route with what seems to be my cart. I wanted to post it here because it has hardly any views but really does a great job of explaining things high level and showing what you can expect.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rY6zfAyGM9U

She is getting up to 29 mph. That sealed the deal for me. I don't even want to be tempted with these speeds at the current age of my kids. When the batteries go, and I might have a couple of years, I'll step it up to 48v.

Thank you all again for all of your help and advice.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:37 PM   #17
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I didn't get 1 minute in before I heard incorrect information and saw sparks flying. That was enough for me.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:21 PM   #18
tekkski
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Minus frying the plug, anything else you can hilight? Video is not mine but would like to learn from it and not repeat her mistakes. You guys have forgotten more about golf carts than i will ever know.. No pressure obviously. I don't expect you to debunk every video on the internet :). I appreciate the free advice so far.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:20 AM   #19
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I think as long as you use the speed sensor and set it accordingly you should be okay at 48.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:36 AM   #20
tekkski
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I got everything installed and all was well. Maybe the regen was a bit more than i was used to but all seemed well. I left town and the wife and kids were on the cart and when they went to leave a park the cart tried to move but wouldnt.

Controller is green untill you get on the gas and try to move. It tries but then the controller blinks red. I dont dare to try past that.

What would be the firsr thing to check? Was ok for roughly, total guess, 20 miles? Could the motor be smoked? How do i check?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO