lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2019, 09:12 PM   #21
Nickelpede
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Aren't These Rear Leaf Shackles Really Long? 2014 TXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero26tb4u View Post
Is it common to take out the rear shocks on this "refurb"?
I installed a set of HD springs last weekend.
I removed the shocks.
The HD springs added 2" in height to the rear.
Nickelpede is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-04-2019, 01:45 AM   #22
EvilSpirit1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero26tb4u View Post
Is it common to take out the rear shocks on this "refurb"?
The stock shocks were probably too short with the longer shackles, so they removed them to keep them from topping out.
EvilSpirit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:06 PM   #23
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyAbear View Post
Am I the only one who thinks the springs appear to be mounted upside down?
I took another look at the photo after you stated that. At first, it also appeared to me to be that way. And for a "normal" shackle length I think the springs would be turned the other way.

When you look at how they are mounted, leaf springs have the shorter "stacked" part assembled on the spring side that receives the "compression". So, normally the shorter sections would be on the top side of the leaf spring.

But because these have overly long shackles, the compression takes place on the bottom side of the leaf spring.

The whole set up is cheesy IMHO.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:09 AM   #24
EvilSpirit1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
I took another look at the photo after you stated that. At first, it also appeared to me to be that way. And for a "normal" shackle length I think the springs would be turned the other way.

When you look at how they are mounted, leaf springs have the shorter "stacked" part assembled on the spring side that receives the "compression". So, normally the shorter sections would be on the top side of the leaf spring.

But because these have overly long shackles, the compression takes place on the bottom side of the leaf spring.

The whole set up is cheesy IMHO.
My uncle was a blacksmith and working in his shop as a teen I saw pretty much every leaf spring application out there, but for this post I will stick to the rear of the cart style application, with the main leaf anchored to the frame at the front and has a shackle at the rear.

Without going into a great deal of theory and typing practice - let it be said that the shorter load "helper" leaves should be under the main leaf. The length of the shackle doesn't matter - nor does it matter if the shackle swings up or down - the helper leaves go under the main leaf.

It also does not matter if the axle is mounted above or below the axle - again - the helper leaves go under the main leaf. If the axle is mounted under the spring - the load is transmitted up through the helpers into the main leaf, then to the mounts. If the axle is mounted above the spring - the load is transmitted down through the u-bolts to the lower plate, then up through the helpers into the main leaf, then to the mounts.

You can argue that if the helpers are on top that the clamps that band the helpers to the main leaf will transmit the load to the main leaf, but that is not their intended function, which is to keep the leaves aligned and to control spring wrap-up under accel and braking. The clamps will usually wear out quickly and fail if forced to carry a load.
EvilSpirit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:38 PM   #25
JimsTXT
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by agpfl View Post
This configuration is very common in this area right now. There is a company out there that is buying up fleets of TXT48's and "refurbishing" them. One of the ways they have made it cost effective for themselves it only purchasing a front spindle lift and then fabricating the long shackles. This saves time because its way faster to install a front spindle lift in the front than a drop axle. The rear is faster because they just replace the shackles instead of taking the time to put the leaf springs on top of the axle. The ride quality is pretty sloppy especially when turning.
You sir hit the nail on the head! I have one and that’s why I joined the group. We just spent the last week camping and every turn it rubs the rear tires. I have 8” shackles and HD springs that are maxed out. No shocks. I am hoping to gain insight from the group.
JimsTXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:06 PM   #26
agpfl
Wild Gone

E-Z-GO

You could try to find just the rear lift kit, but this one is cheap enough where you can buy it and throw away the front. The front is not compatible with your model year. Perfectautopart 6" Drop Axle Lift Kits for EZGO Golf Cart Electric TXT Model 1994.5-2001.5 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y8CP956..._Jmy8DbNHCF2AM

You might also have to flip the drums to the other side because your break cable might get in the way of the lift blocks. Then your brake cable will be too short on the drivers side and you will need a new longer one. This is why they just went with the shackles.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
agpfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO