lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-30-2019, 02:49 PM   #1
Rodge427
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default RXV Curtis USB Programming help

New to the forum. I am renting a 2016 RXV with the stock Curtis 235 amp controller for the season. I removed it today and had it freedom mode unlocked so it is on speed mode 5 and accel setting 4.

I also have a USB cable and the Curtis 1314-4402 software that is full OEM mode thanks to help from these forums.

I am looking to push things a bit past the 19.5mph freedom mode maximum. I don’t need to go 40 or pull wheelies. The wheels are stock 18”. Batteries are brand new. I will also be upgrading the battery cables to 0/1 gauge to be safe.

Can anyone provide some insight into the right parameters to change in the software? I don’t want to brick anything. I also want it to be a fairly safe tune. Something my mom can handle. Hills are limited in my area but the cart will be used for 4 passengers regularly. Long distance drives are also common.
Rodge427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-01-2020, 07:58 AM   #2
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV Curtis USB Programming help

From what I've read on here from Bob Boyce, unlocking Freedom mode is really not the best start to getting more out of it than 19.6. I too have the USB cable and software but have only used it for diagnostic purposes on my carts and others. I was afraid do delve any deeper for the same reasons you are. I had Bob program my controller shortly after acquiring my current cart and am getting close to 30mph with 20.5" tires and just me on it.
jneubig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 01:29 PM   #3
Lees23
Getting Wild

On a rented cart?
Lees23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:50 AM   #4
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lees23 View Post
On a rented cart?
I missed that in his initial post. I agree that tampering with a rented cart is not the best idea.
jneubig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:04 AM   #5
Rodge427
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

First to get this out of the way. Yes, its a long term rental cart. I am assuming all responsibility for anything that I might do to the cart. If I burn something up I will replace. I appreciate the concern.

Now back to the topic. I have also read what Bob has said about freedom mode. I believe I read however that he does not recommend using the passkey dongle as it limits things. My controller was switched to freedom mode using OEM level PC software which Bob has said is okay.

I connected my cable to the cart diagnostic port and set the software to factory level in the registry. I was able to make changes to the "speed to motor rpm" value to raise the max motor rpm from 6400 in mode 5 to 7000 to start and test. I am not sure if I can go past the 8000 software limit or not. I know bob has stated there is some talk back between the controller maximum of 9500 and the software max of 8000. Doing some more testing today.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:38 AM   #6
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge427 View Post
First to get this out of the way. Yes, its a long term rental cart. I am assuming all responsibility for anything that I might do to the cart. If I burn something up I will replace. I appreciate the concern.

Now back to the topic. I have also read what Bob has said about freedom mode. I believe I read however that he does not recommend using the passkey dongle as it limits things. My controller was switched to freedom mode using OEM level PC software which Bob has said is okay.

I connected my cable to the cart diagnostic port and set the software to factory level in the registry.
I was able to make changes to the "speed to motor rpm" value to raise the max motor rpm from 6400 in mode 5 to 7000 to start and test. I am not sure if I can go past the 8000 software limit or not. I know bob has stated there is some talk back between the controller maximum of 9500 and the software max of 8000. Doing some more testing today.
OEM and Factory levels cannot toggle Freedom mode on or off, only Development level can. Speed to RPM does not set motor RPM limits. That calibrates the controller to the tire size/rear axle ratio in order to keep the motor stator amps (Defined in the motor maps, similar to SepEx drive, but for AC motors) calibrated to the final effective gear ratio of the cart. If you alter that value too far from the RXV stock value, you risk damaging the motor or controller by causing the motor to exceed the factory preset stock stator amps for the RPM being read, as defined in the stock motor maps. These motor maps do not actually limit stator current, they are used to let the controller determine that the motor is operating within predefined operational specifications. When that happens, the RXV behaves exactly like it will behave when oversized tires and/or speed gears are installed. When slowed to a stop, the cart will rock forwards and backwards, trying to "find its position" using the motor speed encoder. That indicates that not all is well when an RXV does that. Rewriting the motor maps requires 3 phase AC motor controller calibration knowledge.

Actual RPM limits are located in several locations, many of which are only visible when the software is at or above their access level. Again, it requires Development level to see the highest one. If even one of these are missed, the motor will not exceed the stock RPM limit. There is one at Dealer level, one at OEM level, one at Factory level, and one at Development level.

Be careful what you change, as you can damage the motor and/or the controller. Always keep a copy of the stock settings so it can be returned to stock. You can corrupt an RXV controller to the point it cannot be restored using the programming station software and a hacked cable. It requires an authentic Curtis interface, original virgin OS and VCL files from Curtis, and the Curtis software WinVCL in order to compile the OS and VCL files and rewrite the controller back to stock at that point.

The latest RXVs are locked down, a hacked cable will not communicate, nor will an older handheld! Replace the new controller with an older one and keep the new controller handy in case you need to have it serviced under warranty.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:03 PM   #7
Rodge427
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
OEM and Factory levels cannot toggle Freedom mode on or off, only Development level can. Speed to RPM does not set motor RPM limits. That calibrates the controller to the tire size/rear axle ratio in order to keep the motor stator amps (Defined in the motor maps, similar to SepEx drive, but for AC motors) calibrated to the final effective gear ratio of the cart. If you alter that value too far from the RXV stock value, you risk damaging the motor or controller by causing the motor to exceed the factory preset stock stator amps for the RPM being read, as defined in the stock motor maps. These motor maps do not actually limit stator current, they are used to let the controller determine that the motor is operating within predefined operational specifications. When that happens, the RXV behaves exactly like it will behave when oversized tires and/or speed gears are installed. When slowed to a stop, the cart will rock forwards and backwards, trying to "find its position" using the motor speed encoder. That indicates that not all is well when an RXV does that. Rewriting the motor maps requires 3 phase AC motor controller calibration knowledge.

Actual RPM limits are located in several locations, many of which are only visible when the software is at or above their access level. Again, it requires Development level to see the highest one. If even one of these are missed, the motor will not exceed the stock RPM limit. There is one at Dealer level, one at OEM level, one at Factory level, and one at Development level.

Be careful what you change, as you can damage the motor and/or the controller. Always keep a copy of the stock settings so it can be returned to stock. You can corrupt an RXV controller to the point it cannot be restored using the programming station software and a hacked cable. It requires an authentic Curtis interface, original virgin OS and VCL files from Curtis, and the Curtis software WinVCL in order to compile the OS and VCL files and rewrite the controller back to stock at that point.

The latest RXVs are locked down, a hacked cable will not communicate, nor will an older handheld! Replace the new controller with an older one and keep the new controller handy in case you need to have it serviced under warranty.

Bob
Bob I really appreciate the reply. I do not have my notification settings correct as I missed your message.

The cart has been operating flawlessly for the last 3 weeks for my application. However, I will attempt to adjust my motor rpm control in the correct manner. The cart does rock back and forth at a stop if I move my weight around, I had assumed incorrectly this was something the motor brake system allowed.

I of course have a stock copy of the controller file that I saved before making any changes. I have an RXV fleet controller that seems to communicate well with my cable setup. Perhaps the controller is pre-2016 which is the model year of the cart. The freedom mode unlock was done by another guy with a different cable setup that plugged directly into the big controller connector and not the diagnostic port. He must be development level. I am at factory level.

Am I understanding correctly that I must go through and adjust the motor rpm limit parameters 3 times in 3 unique places since I am at factory level. I should be able to adjust them all without changing the access level? Or I must change the access level to see each individual location? Would you be able to provide the name of the parameters for me to locate in the software. I understand if you'd prefer to use DM for that. I am almost at the required number of posts. Still new to this fun world of RXV's
Old 01-24-2020, 12:46 PM   #8
Rodge427
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Went back in and returned the cart to stock profile 5 file with speed maxed at 19.5 mph. This puts the max motor rpm around 6400. I can adjust the motor rpm when not connected to the system and found 3 locations in factory access level where rpm was listed. But regardless of what I input when the controller is connected it will not change from 6400 without adjusting speed to rpm setting which I am trying not to do.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:04 PM   #9
Rodge427
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Bob I tried to send you a DM but your mailbox is full.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:31 PM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

If you export the configuration to a flat file you can import it into excel or the like and it will tell you what level handset is needed to change a parameter.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
curtis, programing, rxv
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO