lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-23-2020, 03:23 PM   #1
Ssybert
Not Yet Wild

Default Roof Windload Strength while towing at 45* Angle

Hello Everyone,

I'll be towing my new EZGO from New Hampshire to Florida in a few weeks and have concerns about the roof strength. I tow a travel trailer and have to put the golf cart in the back of the truck. Because it's a six passenger, it is too long to go in the bed. I have a "rack over" system that allows the cart to partially sit over the cab of the truck at an angle keeping the back of the cart within the bed of the truck so I can close the tailgate.

I used to use this with my Gem E825 four-passenger without issue. That was a street legal vehicle with serious roof structure and a glued in glass automotive windshield. Absolutely no issues with that. Now that I've upgraded to an EZGO golf cart, the street legal characteristics of the Gem are no longer part of the equation and I have concerns about how I need to haul this.

If I put my cart up on my truck like I have the Gem car in the picture below, do you think the roof will buckle or snap off under 70+ MPH winds for 3000miles? Am I over thinking this? Anyone have thoughts, concerns or experience?

Thanks!
Scott

Ssybert is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-23-2020, 03:35 PM   #2
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Roof Windload Strength while towing at 45* Angle

I wouldn't think you would have any problems, but to be certain, you could run a strap or 2) over top to support it. That would help support it for any sharp turns also....just my opinion :)
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:46 PM   #3
swm63
Gone Wild

I'd almost guarantee that, at that angle, a normal TXT roof would come off shortly after you got up to speed. (I've seen many TXT roofs rip the mounts and they were sitting level.) You didn't stat what EZGO you have, but any roof would be stressed at that angle. +1 on the straps idea from Bama Brad. It would be easy enough to test. Strap it, load it up, hit the highway for a while , and see what happens.
swm63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:40 PM   #4
Ssybert
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have a Express L6 with an 80" roof?? I plan to upgrade to a 120 to cover the rear seats but it will not be in place for this trip. My concern is being at an angle, the wind will get under it and literally bend it in half. The mounts do NOT look like they'll hold. Maybe I can U-bolt through the roof around the root mount but even if I do that, I'm not convinced the roof mounts can handle that kind of abuse.

Anyone know if there any aftermarket roof mounts that are higher quality than the OEM ones? I'd expedite the roof upgrade if more stable mounts were part of the upgrade.
Ssybert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:04 PM   #5
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

I dont like the odds of hauling that setup with the roof in place by ANY means. I would remove it. I would rework all the hardware to something from the Marine or RV world. Nice 1/4 turn cam levers would be perfect. Now that you have it off, what in the world do you do with it? LOL!
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:35 PM   #6
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

At that angle it’s coming off... For that trip, I’d remove the top... won’t take 10 minutes... 4 bolts... the supports will be fine left in place
Timberwolflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:38 PM   #7
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

.... it’s a good thing you drive a Ford ��
Timberwolflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:56 PM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Nice rig.

As others have said, I would not take the chance. Take it off.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:52 PM   #9
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

First off,that is a really nice ramp set up.

Having to haul my cart while still keeping tailgate up enough for camper to hitch up and clear the tounge jack on camper, understand tailgate can’t stay open when hauling camper.
Since my cart is a bit longer then bed I close tailgate as far as it can about 3/4shut
then hold tailgate secure with cargo strap across tailgate.

Is that an option for you?
Running at speeds with cart on that rack at that angle personally would not do.
Not only worry about roof catching air but entire underside of cart catching air. Jmo😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:54 PM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Remove roof & windshield. That txt top will be gone quick.... even a windshield alone is a giant "sail" to suck up MPG. I've seen what it can do (not even at that "sail" angle). Dont try it, you'll be sorry if you do.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO