lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-22-2020, 06:29 PM   #1
rcpd5534
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 6V charge on 8V batteries?

My 48V TXT is dead. Plug in the charger, a PowerWise QE and nothing, Nada. I'm thinking the charger need to read nominal voltage to detect the battery so is it ok to put my battery charger on the 6V setting for a while in order to get the charger working? Any other tips on how to "jump start" the charger?
rcpd5534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-23-2020, 06:54 AM   #2
S-N-R Customs
Gone Wild

Default Re: 6V charge on 8V batteries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpd5534 View Post
My 48V TXT is dead. Plug in the charger, a PowerWise QE and nothing, Nada. I'm thinking the charger need to read nominal voltage to detect the battery so is it ok to put my battery charger on the 6V setting for a while in order to get the charger working? Any other tips on how to "jump start" the charger?

I’ve never had any experience with that charger, but I do know that there is an entire forum section dedicated to troubleshooting them and most people say get rid of them. ( there is also a good amount of Youtube videos on troubleshooting the powerwise chargers)

My suggestion would be to make sure the wires from the charging port connections on the cart to the batteries are good. Then after you know those are all set , start chasing down the problem in your charger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S-N-R Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:05 AM   #3
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpd5534 View Post
Do you know what the current voltage of the pack is? There is a minimum voltage for most chargers to come on. I don’t remember reading for sure about that charger, but it’s probably like that too.

And, yes, you can try and charge each battery individually with your 6v charger, but again, why don’t you post for the experts what the current pack voltage is.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 01:31 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Attached is an owner's manual for a 48V PW-QE.

If the pack voltage is less than 36V, you ought to be getting two red flashes. You used the word nada in your original post, so there may be more wrong than just low pack voltage.

As for using a 6V charger on an 8V battery, it would be better to use a 12V charger whose max output is less than 10A and keep an eye on the on-charge voltage. Max safe on-charge voltage for an 8V battery is 10.8 volts.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PowerwiseQE_48Volt_Users_Guide.pdf (351.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 01:54 PM   #5
rcpd5534
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

After charging each battery for a while, the green light flashed briefly and then I got the double red. I went to bed and came back to it today and I'm getting no indicators again. However, the headlights are woking now. Gonna look for a meeter and see if I can figure out the voltage. I'm now charging two batteries together at 12V. I have the manual, byte thanks for attaching it. I'm beginning to wonder if I have something else going on here...
rcpd5534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO