lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-14-2020, 09:54 AM   #21
Memmerson1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: DS Car won’t move

Hi, thanks for the detailed message. The resistor was just removed. I will put it all back together. So the charger works and it’s been working. The cart stopped working when it was stopped. I went to turn in back on on and go with the charger in by mistake and it never moved. Not sure if that would effect.
Memmerson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-14-2020, 10:46 AM   #22
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

It's normal for the cart to not operate while the charger is plugged in. The OBC (On-Board Charge Computer) controls the charger interlock function of the controller by providing voltage to the controller while the charger is unplugged.
When the charger cord is plugged in, the OBC activates the interlock by shutting off the voltage supply on the interlock pin of the controller. This is done to prevent the cart from being driven away while the charge cord is plugged in. It is normal for the cart to not move, and the reverse buzzer will not sound when the charger is plugged in.

If that is the last time the cart worked then it's coincidence that something failed while it was plugged in and charging, or you possibly had a power surge that might have damaged something while it was plugged in.

Since the OBC controls the lockout function, disconnect the battery pack negative cable for approximately 15 minutes. Make sure that everything else is re-connected properly, and then reconnect the pack negative.
Plug the charger in and make sure it turns on and shows that the pack is charging.
Then unplug the charger, make sure the Tow/Run switch is in Run position, key On, FnR switch in R, press the Go pedal down and you should hear the reverse buzzer turn on and the solenoid should click. If it does not, wait a few seconds and press the pedal again. If still nothing then we'll need to try bypassing the interlock circuit of the OBC to see if the OBC has failed.

Flip the Tow Run switch to Tow.
In the 6 pin grey connector (the one in the image you posted above) behind the OBC there is a White and a Blue wire. White is 48v In from the Tow/ Run switch, Blue is 48v back out to the controller. Disconnect the two halves of the connector and use a paper clip on the CART side connector to jumper the White and the Blue or Light Blue pins together. Tape it in place to make sure it doesn't touch anything.
Flip the Tow/ Run switch back to RUN, and then test the cart and see if the reverse buzzer works and if the cart will move.

If it works after that, then we can safely say the OBC has failed and will need replaced.
If the charger still works, then it's possible only the interlock function of the OBC has failed, and you can disable the interlock by permanently jumping the White and Blue wires together. This will allow the cart to be operated even if the charger is plugged in, so you will have to be careful not to drive off while the charger is plugged in.
Another option is the OBC can be removed and bypassed, but you will need to then buy a smart charger to charge the pack. The original charger will only work properly if paired with the OBC.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:10 PM   #23
Memmerson1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

So the charger is not kicking on.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:24 PM   #24
Memmerson1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Update I jumped the pins like you said and the cart moves... AMEN. However the charger doesn’t work do I need to replace the obc and charger?
Old 07-14-2020, 04:28 PM   #25
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Did you try the charger with the 6 pin connector plugged back together?

The OBC needs power from the red wire in that harness in order to turn on the charger, so if that's unplugged it wont work.
If it was plugged in, then the OBC has definitely took the dirt nap.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:55 PM   #26
Memmerson1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yea I tried it with I plugged in... it took a dirt nap lol
Old 07-14-2020, 07:46 PM   #27
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Either you can replace it which would be about $250,
or you can get a smart charger such as a Lester Summit II which will probably be in the $350 range, or a Modzmax charger for about the same price as a new OBC.

The Summit II has a 4 year warranty. Has some great features, but does require a little bit of setup using the Lester App to make sure it will work properly. It does have an interlock function if that's important to have.

The Modz max is more of a Plug-and-Play charger. No adjustments or programming capability, you just bypass the OBC and plug it in and it works.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:27 PM   #28
Memmerson1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

So I replaced the OBC and the charger kicks on and kicks off after like 5 minutes or so... itS almost like it has a bad connection. Or something is loose? I say this cause when I wiggle it, it kicks back on. Any thoughts?
Old 07-22-2020, 08:29 PM   #29
Memmerson1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I also have one of this aftermarket little golf charger that charges at 15 amps... not sure if that’s part of the problem
Old 07-22-2020, 10:57 PM   #30
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memmerson1 View Post
So I replaced the OBC and the charger kicks on and kicks off after like 5 minutes or so... itS almost like it has a bad connection. Or something is loose? I say this cause when I wiggle it, it kicks back on. Any thoughts?
Sounds like you have a bad connection there.

15 amp should be a pretty decent charger. Not sure what you have can you post a photo?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car