lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-23-2020, 11:55 AM   #1
V8Aggie
Not Yet Wild

Default 2003 DS - Limp mode?

Howdy -

I have a 2003 CC DS that recently went into limp mode from what I can tell. I recently had the entire wiring harness replaced and this was the first time I took it out for an extended drive. Everything was going great until about 20-30 minutes in and I lost nearly all power. Had just enough to creep back home. (Yes batteries are fully charged)

I have novice electrical experience and a multimeter. I am extremely handy and willing to learn. Anything y'all recommend I take a look at before sending back to the shop?

Edit - Everything is stock w/ a dealer speed code (4 is the highest I think).

This is our beach house cart and I can only tinker with it every so often. Seems like we keep have issue after issue. Already had the controller replaced, solenoid, batteries. I think I am ready to trade this in for something newer. Sigh.

Thanks guys!
V8Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2020, 12:14 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2003 DS - Limp mode?

I would start my measuring the voltage in each individual battery to make sure they are close in voltage to each other.

If someone placed the red positive wire from the charger receptacle on a battery post other than the pack positive post (the one with the thick red cable that goes to the Solenoid), your cart would not charge that first battery and lead to issues like you described.

Real limp mode or 50% Controller power would not act like dead batteries.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:44 PM   #3
V8Aggie
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
I would start my measuring the voltage in each individual battery to make sure they are close in voltage to each other.

If someone placed the red positive wire from the charger receptacle on a battery post other than the pack positive post (the one with the thick red cable that goes to the Solenoid), your cart would not charge that first battery and lead to issues like you described.

Real limp mode or 50% Controller power would not act like dead batteries.
Thanks, I'll take a look when I get back down there and update.

So limp mode won't feel like the cart is crawling? Probably a few miles per hour (which is what happened) ?
Old 07-23-2020, 01:59 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

My interpretation of your comment "Had just enough to creep back home" was that if you step on the accelerator pedal all the way the cart was dying and you were luck to get back home.

What it is referred to "limp mode" is a Controller safety mode where the Controller limits the output power to around 50%, the cart still feels very strong and accelerates quickly but it then hits a speed limit and stays around 8 mph for stock Speed code 3, perhaps faster for Speed code 4.

If You cart feels like it has no power or the cart dies if you step all the way down on the accelerator when that happens, it is typically a battery issue.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:44 PM   #5
V8Aggie
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the clarification. I definitely did not have 50% power.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car