lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-07-2020, 11:18 PM   #1
Boltfan1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Precedent Stuttering No Go

I was driving my 2010 Precedent today parked it for a few minutes and went to drive again and the cart would not move just stuttered a little bit. Batteries are strong 2 year old Trojans and the pack and individual batteries check out over 51 volts. I doubled checked all connections and found nothing loose, I have an Alltrax XCT400 with Heavy Duty 400 amp Solenoid with stock motor installed for over a year now without any issues. I checked the Alltrax toolkit and it showed low battery. I'm thinking solenoid issue but I don't know where to start.
Boltfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-08-2020, 12:01 AM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: Precedent Stuttering No Go

The high power controller has burned the brushes in the motor up. WAG
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 08:58 PM   #3
Boltfan1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Anyone have some idea how to test the motor?
Old 11-08-2020, 10:14 PM   #4
Boltfan1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Update, after load testing batteries tonight with the cart lifted up on jack stands it started to run again. I assume something in the Solenoid was stuck and freed up. It is running normal again. I will install a new Solenoid unless someone has any other ideas why it would start running again.
Old 11-09-2020, 03:05 AM   #5
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltfan1 View Post
Update, after load testing batteries tonight with the cart lifted up on jack stands it started to run again. I assume something in the Solenoid was stuck and freed up. It is running normal again. I will install a new Solenoid unless someone has any other ideas why it would start running again.
Glad it's running again. Are you still seeing the "low battery" error on the controller?
I'd be a little surprised if that HD solenoid is dying after only one year unless it's a cheap, knock-off one and I'm guessing it's not. I wouldn't be too quick to replace it until you see how the cart performs now that it's running again.
Keep us posted. If you continue to have this problem I'm sure the experts here will be happy to help you.
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:25 AM   #6
Gregt909
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltfan1 View Post
I had the same symptoms you’re describing and it turned to be a bad 400 amp solenoid that was only about a year old.
Gregt909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:44 AM   #7
Boltfan1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCNorth View Post
Glad it's running again. Are you still seeing the "low battery" error on the controller?
I'd be a little surprised if that HD solenoid is dying after only one year unless it's a cheap, knock-off one and I'm guessing it's not. I wouldn't be too quick to replace it until you see how the cart performs now that it's running again.
Keep us posted. If you continue to have this problem I'm sure the experts here will be happy to help you.
It is a HD 400 amp Solenoid that I bought from Scotty B. I'm thinking somehow it was locked up or frozen then broke free when testing the load on the batteries. When it got going again there were no more low battery warnings or any red flags on the controller.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:57 AM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The "low battery" warning from the Alltrax Controller is inconclusive since it is measured after the Solenoid.

You need to also look at a voltage meter directly attached to the batteries in order to detect if the issue is weak batteries, bad connections or solenoid.

Most likely it is a Solenoid issue as that is the typical symptom when those "dual coil" solenoids get the bottom contact stuck on the "holding" coil so they cannot activate again after being turned off.

I mounted my MJZ-400 horizontally as it is recommended in some of those Chinese specifications for that type of Solenoid.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:07 AM   #9
Boltfan1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The "low battery" warning from the Alltrax Controller is inconclusive since it is measured after the Solenoid.

You need to also look at a voltage meter directly attached to the batteries in order to detect if the issue is weak batteries, bad connections or solenoid.

Most likely it is a Solenoid issue as that is the typical symptom when those "dual coil" solenoids get the bottom contact stuck on the "holding" coil so they cannot activate again after being turned off.

I mounted my MJZ-400 horizontally as it is recommended in some of those Chinese specifications for that type of Solenoid.
Thanks Sergio, I will look at mounting the new one horizontally.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car