lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-08-2020, 02:20 PM   #1
L11Hill
Not Yet Wild

Default Cart does not handle downhill path well

I have a property that has a pretty steep downhill path (concrete) and my cat does not handle it well.

I have a 2004 club car precedent, and when I go down the steep part of the path, the cart "skips/slides" for about the 20 feet of the steep part. I believe my cart is only drum brakes in the back, so when I let off the gas and hit the brakes, the cart pretty much slide/skips down this steep part. The cart will eventually come to a stop at where the path levels out, but while it is sliding/skipping it is nerve wracking to say the least.

My neighbor has a newer ez-go that handles the hill like a champ, but I would like to see if I can avoid buying a new cart just because of this 20 foot section. The difference between my cart and his, is that when he lets off the gas, his cart comes to a stop pretty quickly and it feels like all 4 wheels are braking/slowing. For my cart - when I let off the gas, the cart will continue to go until I hit the brakes. Is this a brake issue? Is this a controller issue? I believe I only have rear drum brakes, and I have no idea what the braking mechanism is for my neighbor's cart...

If I have to buy something newer, then so be it, but would love some feedback from those with more knowledge then I have about what my options are!

Thanks!
L11Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-08-2020, 02:25 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Cart does not handle downhill path well

Depends on what cart your neighbor has but sounds like it has a limited slip rear axle so it will brake with both rear times.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:52 PM   #3
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

you can put front disc brakes on there ....about 400 bucks i believe....
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 03:26 PM   #4
L11Hill
Not Yet Wild

I thought about front brakes. If I go down the hill in reverse (I'm trying everything here), it works fine because the braking wheels are in the front of the vehicle.

If I go this route, I believe I need to get different wheels as well, so the costs start to mount.
Old 11-08-2020, 03:31 PM   #5
L11Hill
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
sounds like it has a limited slip rear axle
His cart will pretty much stop on the steep part even when he simply lets off the gas. He doesn't even hit the brakes (he does, but doesn't have to that much).

This is the functionality that I think I need for safety purposes. Is this due to the "limited slip rear axle"? Or what exactly is the functionality that makes his cart stop/slow when not pressing the gas?
Old 11-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #6
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Sounds to me like you need your brakes redone. They shouldn't be locking up making you slide.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 04:50 PM   #7
L11Hill
Not Yet Wild

What is the functionality that allows the newer cart to slow/stop when you let off the gas pedal? I may look into front brakes for this thing, but when he can come to the steep part and let off the brakes and his comes to a stop. Mine picks up speed and I have to rely on the brakes!

I think I need to sell this one and get something newer!
Old 11-08-2020, 05:29 PM   #8
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

It's called regen braking. With a Curtis Controller you will have to have your dealer set it.
I believe there are three settings. Strong, medium and mild. It should be on your cart.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:26 AM   #9
L11Hill
Not Yet Wild

Well it certainly is NOT working on mine! Controller issue maybe?
Old 11-09-2020, 07:56 AM   #10
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by L11Hill View Post
Well it certainly is NOT working on mine! Controller issue maybe?
As suggested earlier, you'll likely need to go to a dealer (Club Car is absolutely vicious about their intellectual property) to get it done - but could very well be just a program setting that needs to be changed. That is to get the regenerative brake working as you'd like. I'm in agreement with others that the mechanical brakes themselves may need some attention as well.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car