lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-10-2021, 05:24 PM   #1
anziosaint
Gone Wild

Default Help with a txt rear end!

So I am working on a 2006 36v TXT that is a series cart. It does NOT have a Tow/run switch. Here’s the deal. It belongs to a friend of mine at our campground. He had the motor out and rebuilt. Cart ran fine then started growling from the rear end. He was told by a “less than reputable” shop it needed a whole new rear diff. So he bit the billing and had one put in. He’s in his 70’s and doesn’t know much about carts. Less than a season into the rear end here in Ohio and the thing is grinding/growling loud when the wheels move forward or reverse. Soooooooo......... now it’s in my garage and I’m putting in the labor for free.
Here’s what I have found. With the rear end off the ground and one wheel held back, spinning the opposite wheel creates the sound forward or reverse. I pulled the fluid plug and there is plenty of fluid. I pulled the motor off and do the spin test on the one wheel without the motor attached and it is quiet and smooth. So is the beating in the motor bad or what. At first i thought it could be the input shaft bearings but now I’m not sure? BTW what rear end is this?????? I have searched high and low and can’t find one that looks like this on a 36v txt? Their is no snap ring holding the input shaft in unless it’s behind the seal? I’me really stumped right now. Leaning towards the motor bearing that was supposed to have been replaced less than 18 months ago but this wierd rear end has me confused.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91E20A6D-C0B4-43C3-BB5D-555113EA1B4B.jpg (147.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg CBDDB644-4FE7-45EE-9DD1-9E6369BB44BB.jpg (147.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 9AA692B6-702F-477A-B401-97E807D3733D.jpg (139.7 KB, 0 views)
anziosaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-10-2021, 05:34 PM   #2
anziosaint
Gone Wild

Default Re: Help with a txt rear end!

Sorry but I can’t figure out how to get the pics straightened out? I rotated one and it only shifted it the other way ?
Old 01-10-2021, 05:34 PM   #3
jmatlock88
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

In a few weeks I will have a serial EZGO TXT 36V motor available. Runs very smooth, just upgrading mine for more speed. Holler back if you figure out it's the motor.
jmatlock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 05:38 PM   #4
anziosaint
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatlock88 View Post
In a few weeks I will have a serial EZGO TXT 36V motor available. Runs very smooth, just upgrading mine for more speed. Holler back if you figure out it's the motor.
Will do. I would rather just replace the needed bearings at a fraction of the cost if that is the problem. I will keep you in mind though
Old 01-10-2021, 06:02 PM   #5
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Keep in mind that the only bearing at the differential end of the motor IS on the input shaft. I don't get into those often enough to remember if the snap ring is before or after the seal, but the should be one there. Of course, you never know for sure what someone else may have done before you. I wouldn't be surprised if the bearing didn't make much of any noise without a load on it.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 06:04 PM   #6
anziosaint
Gone Wild

That’s kinda what I was maybe thinking too as far as load vs no load. Does anyone recognize that rear end? Is it a correct rear diff housing ?
Old 01-10-2021, 06:22 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by anziosaint View Post
That’s kinda what I was maybe thinking too as far as load vs no load. Does anyone recognize that rear end? Is it a correct rear diff housing ?
Only split case differential EZGO used was in the 86.5 thru 87 model years, so it is likely an aftermarket one of some kind.

Looks a little like the one in the attached Imaginative Manufacturing advertisement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Imaginative Manuf - 2-speed.jpg (335.1 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 06:37 PM   #8
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I don't know about the correct rear diff, but the snap ring of Input shaft is located behind the seal!
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 06:40 PM   #9
anziosaint
Gone Wild

Yea it’s kinda like that but not exactly. Anyways,
UPDATE: I went ahead and pryed out the oil seal to see if there was a snap ring behind so I could pull the input shaft for inspection....... well low and behold not only did I destroy the oil seal to get it out but there is NOT a snap ring behind it. Looks like the only way to address that is to pull the whole case and split it. This really sucks!
Old 01-10-2021, 06:42 PM   #10
anziosaint
Gone Wild

BTW when I pulled the oil seal I could see the ball bearings in the race so this input shaft does not seam to have sealed type bearings like everything I’ve seen online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO