lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-21-2021, 01:07 PM   #1
Permit53
Not Yet Wild

Default 48V "Curtis/Club car" suddenly dies, problem found but have questions.

Good afternoon, traded my 4 seater club car for a lifted 6 seater. On the first trip out the golf cart made a noise like a belt had snapped off the motor. I know the motor is direct drive but i looked under and found nothing broken. Golf cart was dead and would only shutter.

Placed it on charge hoping it was an easy fix however the next day I load tested each battery separately. All 8 batteries ranged between 6.4 -6.6 and non dropped below 6.1 volts when load tested, batteries were from 4/2020. Went through every wire to look for a direct short or gash which would suddenly stop the cart as mine did.

Tested all cables, solenoid, took apart the controller to look for any burn marks, tested the tow/run switch and everything checked out so I decided to look into the motor and it was obvious once the three bolts were out and I pulled the motor about a cup of burnt up brass, copper and whatever else was in there fell out.

My questions are as follows. This is a 6" lifted cart with some knobby tires running on a 48V (ZQS48-3.8-T) Advanced Motors and Drives motor. Did this cause the motor to get fried? Under the the carriage was a ton of dirt so Im thinking this cart had some off road time as well which could have contributed. The only other thing that I can add is that one of the battery terminals that you bolt onto looked pretty burnt up so the previous owner used the other battery terminal post with a top post battery terminal. Not sure how I missed it when I looked at the cart before buying. I know that Im going to need to replace the motor. Would it be smart to put the same model motor into this cart and is there an upgraded option as Id like to do this once and be done? I will ad some pictures from my phone when I'm done with this post.

Finally, I have no clue what manufacture this Golf Cart is, Ive looked everywhere and could not find a tag. It has a Curtis Solenoid and controller so from what I gathered they have worked with club car in the past? Please move my thread if its in the wrong area.
Permit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-21-2021, 01:25 PM   #2
Permit53
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 48V "Curtis/Club car" suddenly dies, problem found but have questions.

https://buggiesgonewild.com/picture.php?albumid=4747&pictureid=30009[/IMG]
Old 02-21-2021, 02:25 PM   #3
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 48V "Curtis/Club car" suddenly dies, problem found but have questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Permit53 View Post
https://buggiesgonewild.com/picture.php?albumid=4747&pictureid=30009[/IMG]
Because you are a new member you're photos will not post to this forum. However, you can go to IMGUR.com and post photos there. Then, post a link to the photos in your next post.
People here are more than willing to help you. Just a photo and a little more information is needed.
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 03:02 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I think you need 3 posts and then wait an hour before you can post pictures...

I looked at the pics in your profile. Maybe bad resolution but it looks like that motor is full of mud? And got very very hot...

It’s hard to tell what kind of cart it is too. It kinda looks ezgo-ish but not. I’m guessing it looks like a star? More and better pictures we should be able to help
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 03:53 PM   #5
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

That's an ICON cart and an AMD motor (no idea if that's factory or not). I don't have much knowledge of ICON but they are popular down here in South Florida. I looked at a few at a couple different showrooms and they look great; very well optioned. They're way cheaper than comparible Club Cars and EZ Gos because they're Chinese. Your cart should have a VIN or serial number on it.

That old motor is about 5hp. That's not very much for a 6 person cart. When you're able, get dimensions and a picture of the end of the motor where it attaches to the rearend. If it's the same as Club Car, you have alot of options. You could also reach out to AMD directly. I'd use the opportunity to upgrade the motor to 10hp or more, depending on your needs.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:27 PM   #6
Permit53
Not Yet Wild

CP241, I found the serial number and it is a "Star" took me a while since they decided to paint over it. There was no mud in the motor but it definitely got very very hot. Thank you for the information.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:36 PM   #7
Permit53
Not Yet Wild

Wakko47, Thank you for the quick response, I found the badge and its a "2007 Star" Golf cart. The motor dimension that attaches to the gear case is 6-5/8" outside diameter. did you need more dimensions as well? I will figure this photo app out and drop some photos. Also, not sure of the HP on this motor but its definitely a good opportunity to upgrade.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:07 PM   #8
Permit53
Not Yet Wild

https://imgur.com/J04cIO4
Old 02-22-2021, 06:09 PM   #9
Permit53
Not Yet Wild

https://i.imgur.com/BVzSlcF.jpp
https://i.imgur.com/8911hGv.jpg
Old 02-22-2021, 06:18 PM   #10
Permit53
Not Yet Wild

https://i.imgur.com/BVzSlcF.jpg
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car