lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-04-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
dlbushey
Not Yet Wild

Default 97 DCS cart F/R switch smoking

*Disclaimer* I have NO knowledge of Golf Carts! (Other than operation)

Hey everybody! After finding this forum 3+ hours ago and searching for some kind of information on my cart, I have discovered that I have a 1997 TXT DCS electric golf cart. (SN 1006736, Manufacture number C1697) I probably could have found out more, but I kept finding cool things to read that kept taking me off track. My ADD kicking in, I guess!

I have owned this cart for 2 years and have never had a problem, however today when I took it out for it's spring maiden voyage, while going up a hill, I began to smell the unmistakable scent of burned conductor insulation. I stopped and lifted the seat and discovered smoke coming from under the cover of the F/R switch.

I checked all of the connections on the battery as well as the F/R switch and found no loose or broken connectors. I could not find what part was smoking as nothing looked burned or felt hot. I continued back to the clubhouse without further incident.

Any ideas on what else I should check/repair/replace?
dlbushey is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-04-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 97 DCS cart F/R switch smoking

The DCS F&R is mounted behind the drivers knee.... it's a round hockey puck looking thing when viewed from under the seat. No big cables connect to it just the 2 microswitches..... are you certain you have a DCS cart?

And welcome to BGW !!!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
dlbushey
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
..... are you certain you have a DCS cart?

And welcome to BGW !!!
Thanks for the welcome....and no, I am not at all certain I have a DCS cart. I was going by what was said in this thread when I said I had a DCS cart.

My cart has a lever under the drivers knee that attaches via a connecting rod to a large electric component that has large cables attached to it as well as smaller wires...one of which is not attached to it's connector. When I do attach it, the reverse tone sounds when shifted into reverse.

I see no run/tow switch anywhere. The cart is about an hour away from me right now or I would take a picture and post it for you to see...but from what I can tell, it looks a whole lot like the diagram of a non-DCS vehicle seen in the Basic Ezgo electric golf cart wiring and manuals sticky.

Maybe it's not a DCS cart...I'm so confused!!!!
Old 04-04-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Take a deep breath .......
What you are describbing is a series cart....... That makes more sense the F&R lever has a linkage to the actual F&R under the passenger seat. These F&Rs will burn up .... especially if one of the big cables going to it get a little loose? You can replace it with a HD switch ...
Old 04-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #5
dlbushey
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Take a deep breath .......
What you are describbing is a series cart....... You can replace it with a HD switch ...
Breathe in....breathe out....whew....all better now.

I'm surfing the EZ go website right now and don't see anything that looks like what I have in there now. What is a HD switch and where can I find one???
Old 04-04-2010, 05:09 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

ezgo does not make them.... I use them in my upgrades and sell them also. It is a complete bolt in unit. The onlything you reuse is the cover and the linkage rod. Lemme see if I can find you a pic?
Old 04-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #7
buddy48
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Here let me help. This is a Nivel 5799 Heavy Duty F&R switch. I believe any of the vendors here will have this one or something similar to help you out...
Attached Images
File Type: gif HD F&R.gif (14.1 KB, 9 views)
buddy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:29 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Thanks buddy, That's the one I sent to him today
Old 04-06-2010, 11:26 AM   #9
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

Also check you cable ends, if they are burn't replace the cable with 4ga. Since you are replacing that unit, i would go ahead and upgrade to complete 4ga cables.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Agreed...... and just for continuity sake ....
This cart turns out to be a Series cart not DCS as the title says.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO