lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2010, 08:41 AM   #21
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 06 Precedent 4x12v charging questions

If you are charging 16 hours and do not have a full charge( I don't know how you can tell) You have a battery or charger problem.

We need voltage readings and hydrometer tests to say what you should do...... 32 hours of charging is not normal
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2010, 10:24 AM   #22
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

The charger shut off and the cart seems to run really strong now. I checked the batts again and there are a couple of them that have 1 hole that could use a splash of water in them. Short of getting things tested, what's my best way to move forward to see where I stand? Should I ride it some today and then throw it back on the charger tonight and see what happens? Or should I ride it until it feels weak again and try to judge how much use I got out of it before it got weak?

My neighbor is an electrician so I'm going to see, this evening, if we can at least throw a voltmeter on the pack and each batt to see what they show.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:54 AM   #23
cobraclay
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Also make sure you use distilled water in the batteries at least thats what mine take, but I would do some research before adding any water because I believe there may be a whole seperate charging process for adding water...Not trying to scare you, I am learning too, but from what I do know, these batteries are the main componant of these carts and you should learn all the proper ways to take care of and maintain them to get the most out of your batteries. Definitely listen to these folks on this board, this is the best golf cart message board I have been a part of and never be afraid to ask stupid questions because there is always someone else out there wondering the same thing, thats what this forum is here for...Good luck with your cart...
cobraclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:55 PM   #24
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Yep, I knew about the distilled water. There are 6 holes in each batt and one each in each of two different batts just needs a small amount of water added. If there is a special charging procedure after adding water, please advise - anyone...
Old 08-18-2010, 07:00 PM   #25
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Purchase a multi-meter from Home Depot or Harbor Frieght. This is a MUST if you have an electric cart. At HF they run as little as $5 and a great meter at Home Depot will run under $50. No meter... can't really help since you have no way of knowing what is happening.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:21 PM   #26
Aussie
Not Yet Wild

Ive had carts coming from very flat batteries which have taken about 25 hours to fully charge, but then operate and charge normally after that. Im sure having them that flat will have taken some life off them, but thats how they came in.

I'd just use it, then put it on the charger tonight, and id expect it to charge "properly" from here on.
Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:42 PM   #27
rmosso1
Not Yet Wild

Seems like this thread ended without answers. Was the problem solved?
rmosso1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:39 PM   #28
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmosso1 View Post
Seems like this thread ended without answers. Was the problem solved?
Yeh, actually a couple of other threads got started as a result of this one so that's why this one seems to be open ended.

I bought a multimeter and found I had a battery that was getting weak much faster than the others. As a result, the entire pack was never fully charging either. It was charging enough to run the cart but not enough to stop the charging process before the charger just timed out and quit on its own. Had a relay go bad in the charger but replaced it and it's working fine now. I also got the guy I bought the cart from to swap me the bad battery for a good one. The last time I charged my cart, it took less than 10 hours and charged up completely with good "state of charge" on the pack and each battery.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #29
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03RedClub View Post
Yeh, actually a couple of other threads got started as a result of this one so that's why this one seems to be open ended.

I bought a multimeter and found I had a battery that was getting weak much faster than the others. As a result, the entire pack was never fully charging either. It was charging enough to run the cart but not enough to stop the charging process before the charger just timed out and quit on its own. Had a relay go bad in the charger but replaced it and it's working fine now. I also got the guy I bought the cart from to swap me the bad battery for a good one. The last time I charged my cart, it took less than 10 hours and charged up completely with good "state of charge" on the pack and each battery.
Have you ever tested each battery separately to see what each voltage is after the batteries settle? Just curious...
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:34 AM   #30
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Scuba, yes, this last time they were all about 12.7 or so. And they were all well less than 1/10th of a volt apart from being the same.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car