lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #1
Herby D
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Whine in differential or motor

My '87 Marathon has developed a high pitched whine in the diff or the motor. the whine is present in reverse or forward. The faster I go, the louder it gets. I checked and changed the differential oil. The old 30 wt oil was dirty, but no pieces of metal. I can't tell if the whine is coming from the motor or differential. In '08, I replaced all the gears, including the input shaft, spline, and spline bumper. After I changed out the gears, there was a light whine that was hardly noticable. I just thought it was tight gears. In the last couple months it has really gotten loud. It doesn't seem to restrict the speed of the cart and there is no other noise except the whine....I used to believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it...but that theory cost me $500 for a new set of gears....Any help is appreciated....
HD
Herby D is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-03-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Whine in differential or motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby D View Post
My '87 Marathon has developed a high pitched whine in the diff or the motor. the whine is present in reverse or forward. The faster I go, the louder it gets. I checked and changed the differential oil. The old 30 wt oil was dirty, but no pieces of metal. I can't tell if the whine is coming from the motor or differential. In '08, I replaced all the gears, including the input shaft, spline, and spline bumper. After I changed out the gears, there was a light whine that was hardly noticable. I just thought it was tight gears. In the last couple months it has really gotten loud. It doesn't seem to restrict the speed of the cart and there is no other noise except the whine....I used to believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it...but that theory cost me $500 for a new set of gears....Any help is appreciated....
HD
You recently replaced the gears so I would tend to think the motor bearing was bad. You could also use some heavier gear oil in the diff such as 80w/90 to see if the whine changes before pulling the motor.
Having a spare good motor or access to one is also a helpful troubleshooting aid.

Last edited by e-z-go1988; 09-03-2010 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: spare
e-z-go1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #3
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

Be glad yours in under your cart. The whine I hear usually sitting next to me in the passenger seat.

j/k dear... if you're on the site.
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
kdeerman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledRotten View Post
Be glad yours in under your cart. The whine I hear usually sitting next to me in the passenger seat.

j/k dear... if you're on the site.
Now that was funny...how do you change the differential oil? I have a 2005 series TXT. Is it pretty much like an auto? Does it have a drain plug, or do you have to remove the entire plate, and fill it till it is up to the level of the higher plug?
Thanks
kdeerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #5
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

A little off the track of the thread but here you go.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...l-service.html
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:38 AM   #6
kdeerman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sorry about that...Thanks Husker.
kdeerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:49 AM   #7
Herby D
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-z-go1988 View Post
You recently replaced the gears so I would tend to think the motor bearing was bad. You could also use some heavier gear oil in the diff such as 80w/90 to see if the whine changes before pulling the motor.
Having a spare good motor or access to one is also a helpful troubleshooting aid.
To find if the whine is coming from the motor or the differential, would there be any harm in disconnecting the motor from the differential, leaving the electrical connected, and running it?
Old 09-06-2010, 09:01 AM   #8
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
To find if the whine is coming from the motor or the differential, would there be any harm in disconnecting the motor from the differential, leaving the electrical connected, and running it?
YES!! There would be harm. The motor armature uses the differential input shaft as a support!
Old 09-10-2010, 12:35 PM   #9
Herby D
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I finally got time to pull my motor and take it apart. The bearing is pretty rough. This is the first time I've worked on an electric motor. I'm curious, what lubercates the bearing? My puller is too big to fit behind the bearing so I'm going to find someplace that can pull it off. Same with the coupler. I am planning on replacing the spline bumper but it is stuck deep inside the coupler...There's also rust on the spline and inside the coupler. Is it supposed to be greased? The motor looks pretty clean inside and the brushes look good. anything in particular I should look for? Any thoughts are appreciated..Thanks.
HD
Old 09-10-2010, 07:43 PM   #10
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I finally got time to pull my motor and take it apart. The bearing is pretty rough. This is the first time I've worked on an electric motor. I'm curious, what lubercates the bearing? My puller is too big to fit behind the bearing so I'm going to find someplace that can pull it off. Same with the coupler. I am planning on replacing the spline bumper but it is stuck deep inside the coupler...There's also rust on the spline and inside the coupler. Is it supposed to be greased? The motor looks pretty clean inside and the brushes look good. anything in particular I should look for? Any thoughts are appreciated..Thanks.
HD
bboy recent post to remove coupler:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-sleave-3.html #22 post

I greased the coupler last time I was in there just to inhibit rust buildup.
The bearing is sealed so no routine maintenance/lubrication.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO