lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-11-2010, 08:36 AM   #11
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: fried third v glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Yeah ~ Fan the Fire
With the fan I never get the heat buildup to ignite anything. The coils are still doing their job regulating speed but the buildup of heat is almost eliminated with the fan. Initially, I checked the coils often to see if the fan was performing as intended and the coils never got very hot. I guess if they had I would have installed a larger capacity fan.
Thank you for your response.
e-z-go1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-18-2010, 10:50 PM   #12
russb442
Gone Wild
Club Car

ok after three days we replaced everywire with 4 ga and soldered welding leads to everything. the fiberglass board that hold the coils is shot, but it is only 30 at local store. we put something together for now. with the mention large wires it seems to run cooler than before. we found some wire terminals that look like two strands held together so i think we found problem.

ok so when i called golf cart shop about the board for the round coils i got to talking with owner. he said with the system that we have with the larger wires we could put 8 volt batteries and find a 48 charger and have a bad *** cart. is it that simple with the vglide and coil set up? the 6 volts or about two months old so how about making room for another 6 volt. any one have ideas? yea we could by a newer 48 system cart used for 1500 minus tires rear seats and other gadgets we have. but dont want it that way rather leave 36 volt.

help
russb442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:14 PM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It will melt If you drive at anything other than WOT it will melt the Vglide... resistor coil carts are not good on 48 volts....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:44 PM   #14
russb442
Gone Wild
Club Car

What iS WOT?
russb442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:58 PM   #15
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by russb442 View Post
What iS WOT?
wide open throttle--
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:31 AM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Here is a little info on how resistor coils regulate motor speed in a golf cart...
How a resistor cart works:
The application will differ from cart to cart but the theory is the same .... The speed wiper selects a resistor coil to feed through depending upon peddle position. Each resistor has a graduated resistance value which regulates how much amperage is allowed to flow to the motor. This use of different value resistors is how your cart changes speeds. The amperage that is not allowed to reach the motor is simply burned off. Increased Voltage increases this heat to the point where stuff begins to melt. The only throttle position where the coils are out of the circuit are stopped and wide open throttle (wot). I have driven 48v coil carts but it was at wot and off ... then wot and coast with very little driving at speeds in between wot and coasting... As soon as I let somebody else drive the cart they melted the Vglide

I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm saying it can't be driven by somebody who is not constantly aware of the heat problem ~ A meltdown can occur in less than 5 minutes of improper use. Hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:37 PM   #17
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have actually had cars at 48 volts using resistor coils that quite literally caught fire...... Resistor cars were never designed for handling the 48 volts......
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car