lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-14-2010, 08:56 PM   #11
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

Default Re: 48v Charging Problem

Forget about the meter as far as being fully charged, its not telling you it is charged. Let the charger do its thing and you will be fine.
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

What is your DVM telling you? What is the pack voltage and when you plug the charger in what does the voltage rise to ? If the charger is shutting off before the pack hits 58.3 or so you might have an obc problem?

WHat I'm reading is the charger is shutting off early ~ not finishing the cycle?
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:22 PM   #13
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

MEC i thought he said at this point the charger is only staying on for a few minutes and shutting off after just that few minutes, i,ll have to re-read it.........but if thats the case and he bypasses the sensor and charger stays on........than i wouls suspect a problem with the OBC if its shutting off after just a few.............................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:12 AM   #14
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

SHOOTERICK-- Please read this post and see if I am reading wrong what you have indicated in your previous posts and advise me if I am wrong. THANKS
SCOTTYB-- What I am reading is that his charger originally shut off on its own and then when he looked at dash meter it indicate that batterys were not fully charged? When he tested charger only brings pack up to 49.3 volts checked with his hand held meter and then turns itself off? I dont know of any dash mount meter that will be that exact and give a reading of 49.3 so I "ASSUME"?? Then he plugs charger back in and within a few minutes it does a shorter cycle and turns off, still maintaning the 49.3 volts? Am I reading this wrong??
SHADOWMAN-- In my #8 post I said that after he found another charger and it still wouldnt get ABOVE 49.3 that he would need to replace OBC? But so often people want to jump ahead and spend money when tests dont confirm? I guess I'm too old fashioned and dont want to spend money unless its needed? FREE CHEAP ADVISE, CHEAP ANSWERS? I may be too methodical about testing first and replacing second? By the charger turning on each time plugged in and seeming to run a cycle up to a set point ( 49.3 Volts ) and then turning off I'm on the wire until another charger can confirm a bad OBC. At this time I have no response from member about availability of another charger.
FIXEROFCARTS--I agree to IGNORE dash meter and only go by hand held digital meter as I find many are NOT anywhere near correct and are only good for a vuage idea?
SORRY fellows if I am reading member wrong, and am too methodical in my long distance diagnoses but this is the way I have always done tests for over 64 years of shop work and am too old now to change???
Brain doesn't like change the older you get, and I am really getting OLD? Maybe I should just stop trying to help people and give up? WHAT SAY YOU?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #15
Shooterick
Not Yet Wild

OLD MEC- you've summed it up.

-Got brand new cr165 crowns. Installed and immediately plugged up charger.
(at this time I did not have a hand held meter)
-Came out next morning, dash meter reading fully charged and PowerDrive off. All good so far.

-Ran cart for a few days, until dash meter inticated about 3/4 charge left. Plugged in Charger, left overnight. Charger came on and everything looked normal.

-Next morning charger was off as expected. Turned key on, dash meter still around 75%. Plugged charger back in. Charger kicked on, went to about 15 amps, held for 25-30 seconds and started dropping slowly to about 8 or 9 amps and shut off. Stayed off. I left it plugged in and went to buy a hand held meter.

-Came home and took Hand Held Meter Reading=49.3. Unplugged charger and left unplugged overnight. Plugged in next day, same scenario. Came on, went to 15 amps, started dropping and turned off.

-I have not ridden cart since because I want to break batteries in properly. Left charger plugged up overnight last night. Checked pack today=49.2.

I have an EZ-GO dealer close by my house, but don't know if his chargers would fit my cart to run the "try a different charger" test.
Shooterick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:28 PM   #16
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

E-Z go charger won,t work but give them a call they just might have a C.C. charger they use if they repair other brands............................
Old 09-15-2010, 07:22 PM   #17
Shooterick
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
What is your DVM telling you? What is the pack voltage and when you plug the charger in what does the voltage rise to ? If the charger is shutting off before the pack hits 58.3 or so you might have an obc problem?

WHat I'm reading is the charger is shutting off early ~ not finishing the cycle?
Scottb, not sure what it is rising too before it cuts off. I plugged it in about 15-20 minutes ago. Prior to plug up, pack reading 49.2. Charger went to 13-14 amps, ran about 2 minutes and cut off. Came back on about a minute later. Rose to 13-14, cut off and right back up to 13-14. I stayed in there for about 5 minutes taking pack readings. Last reading was 51.8. I left it for about 15 minutes, went back and charger was off. Pack reading at 50.6 and slowly dropping.

Uggh.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:52 AM   #18
Shooterick
Not Yet Wild

UPDATE: Borrowed a PowerDrive2 charger from local golf course. Plugged it up. Same thing. Shutting off early. Took handheld meter reading after charger shut off, pack at 49.7 and holding.

OBC?? Called Lester Electronics-not very helpful other than stating that "sounds like obc problem" and "they make specific obc's for specific batteries now".

So, can I reset the obc and hope for the best? or will I be looking at buying a new one. I run the "Beast" motor and a GE 500amp controller.

Advice please........
Old 09-16-2010, 12:09 PM   #19
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

At this point you have eliminated possible all other problems so I would try to reset the OBC and hope for the best? Then if it doesn't make a difference its time to break into the bank account and bite the bullet. When getting OBC make sure that you give Club Car Dealer complete info about cart make, model, voltage, complete serial number off frame under passenger glove box and of course if possible numbers off existing OBC would be big help with picking correct unit. Many times the dealer will have to do a change over to a later model or different OBC so you want to eliminate any chances of getting wrong replacement.
GOOD LUCK
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:23 PM   #20
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

the tough thing is they have upgraded the OBC something like 4 or 5 times now i,m not sure maybe dawg knows......................and they still have as many OBC problems as they did in 95 to 97 its just a little to diagnose it.........at least with the 95,s to 97,s you could diagnose it in 30 seconds.............................
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car