lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2010, 06:39 AM   #1
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Question Choice between PDS or Series? Which and why?

Hi guys, another newbie question....I've been doing a lot of lurking and reading lately and usnderstand what the difference is between the PDS and The Series motors but am livng up to my moniker when it comes to the advantage of one over the other.....I can get a used cart of one type or the other for around the same price so I'm having trouble deciding which to get.......

I do plan on doing some mods in the future: lift, possibly 15" wheels and perhaps 48V upgrade. Cart would be used for neighborhood (flat) road only.

Can you guys give me some perspective on what the advantages and drawbacks are one over the other.
todo_brane_ded is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-23-2010, 07:24 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Choice between PDS or Series? Which and why?

The series cart will be a better choice for extreme modifications.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:35 AM   #3
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Thanks scottyb.....I was just reading another thread whereby the fellow has a pds cart that overheated with some prolonged driving. Was wondering if the regenerative braking of the PDS motor generates a lot of heat that the series motor wouldn't?

Also, he mentioned that he modified the "chip" (jumper plug) and wired it to a switch so that he could slow the cart down for his kids. I don't have kids but a wife that might be a bit intimidated by a cart that's too fast. Is there a similar way of conviently slowing the series cart down?
Old 09-23-2010, 07:44 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

No, his custom switch is a unique feature of the PDS Cart.
But the series cart is the one you want for 15" tires and 48 volts.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:56 AM   #5
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

-I've done some more reading and I find that some of the mods I'm thinking about cannot be done incrementally.

I should clarify what I said above in terms of wheels. What I meant was 15" rims and I'm getting the idea that if I use rims this size that beyond the lift kit I may need to upgrade the motor, controller and solenoid as well at the same time, and I could be wrong so please correct me if I am, that the stock motor/controller wouldn't be up to task......

What do you think?
Old 09-24-2010, 05:49 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That is right the stock controller / solenoid would not be up to the task. You can however upgrade the controller first and then later get the lift and wheels.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:34 PM   #7
ezgokid
resident idiot

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by todo_brane_ded View Post
Thanks scottyb.....I was just reading another thread whereby the fellow has a pds cart that overheated with some prolonged driving. Was wondering if the regenerative braking of the PDS motor generates a lot of heat that the series motor wouldn't?

Also, he mentioned that he modified the "chip" (jumper plug) and wired it to a switch so that he could slow the cart down for his kids. I don't have kids but a wife that might be a bit intimidated by a cart that's too fast. Is there a similar way of conviently slowing the series cart down?
The speed chip only adds about 3-5 mph to the cart APPROXIMATELY. So hopefully that's not too fast. Scottyb is right also. Lifting a PDS cart is actually frowned upon without doing other upgrades such a motor, controller, etc.
ezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:14 PM   #8
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Thanks ezgokid...I've already decided on a fleet series TXT...Now if my house closing goes as planned (geez, I pray) I'll be in Florida soon building my 'dream' cart, woohooooo!
Old 09-30-2010, 10:24 PM   #9
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

where in Florida? If you are close enough, I can assist as needed.....
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:14 PM   #10
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
where in Florida? If you are close enough, I can assist as needed.....
Just north of Tampa.....I'm in a retirement community called Wellington at Seven Hills.....

I have to say though that I'm in the midst of a home sale (and yes I lost mucho dinero) and this still might not go through. I've been under contract twice in the past two years but this time looks good.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO