lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-08-2011, 07:10 AM   #1
NickS
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Best off road setting for a PDS cart

Well, I went dove hunting the other day and took my cart. Everything was fine going across the field and setting up. Then, I decided to drive around the field a little. It was a plowed field some thicker loose dirt. I knew that I would be stopping and going a lot, so I took the freedom chip out before I went.

As I was going across the field, the cart began to get slower and slower, and eventually slow to a crawl. I stopped and lifted the seat. The controller felt a little warm, bot not burning hot. I did see the white wire that runs from the charging port to the positive on the first battery smoking a little at the battery post. I don't know what this wire is, or why it was doing it. I will say that the connector on the end of the wire is a little rusted, and had some wires showing that I wrapped with electrical tape. I let it sit for a couple of mins and it ran fine for the little driving I did back to my spot.

The dirt was fairly thick, and maybe compared to sand. Keep in mind that I have a lift, and 23" tires with 8mo old batteries. Everything else is stock aside from 4ga cables.

I know that a PDS cart isn't a good platform to build a hunting cart out of, but around the neighborhood and the small field behind my house, it does fine. Could it be that the wire needs to be replaced, or connection cleaned up? Or is the thicker dirt what caused it? I do have a steep hill chip, but didn't have it in there. What would be the best chip to run in a PDS cart for out in a field? What would cause this wire to smoke?
NickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-08-2011, 07:38 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Best off road setting for a PDS cart

The PDS system goes into all terrain mode when the chip is removed, that's as close to off road mode as she gets.
23 inch tires on a PDS cart without a controller upgrade is riding around on borrowed time. The controller will fail, how often you go into deep or soft footing will determine how soon it will fail.
Remember too that controller damage is accumulative. So the next time out you are starting with an already damaged unit.
Upgrade the control, solenoid, and cables. Replace the bad end on the white wire from the receptacle to Battery+, that is about all you can do short of getting a proper PDS torque motor.
Good Luck
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:56 AM   #3
NickS
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Scotty. I don't go out in soft footing often. And you said to upgrade the cables? I already have 4ga. What is that wire, and what would cause it to smoke?

This cart is supposed to be built on a budget, so I really didn't want to get into upgrading all of that stuff. If that's the case, I would just sell it and buy either a mule, or a gas cart. Would a smaller tire help out? I know that most everyone runs at least a 22" tire on here, but they were free, so I couldn't complain. Plus I didn't really think the 1 " taller would make much of a difference would it?
Old 09-08-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

"all that stuff" you refer to is the drive system. Actually just the controller & solenoid in PDS. You have changed the gear ratio without improving the power delivery.

The circumference of a stock 18" tire is 56 inches. A 23 inch tire is 72 inches. The 23" tire moves the cart nearly 30% further per each rotation of the rear axle. Mathematically it is very big difference in the power to load ratio.

The white wire you ask about is the main charger positive & interlock for the secondary electrical system, ignition, controller operation, etc.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
Scooter B
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I guess I haven't had enough coffee this morning. When you said "best offroad setting" I was thinking "environment" I was hoping to see your cart in some killer offroad photos out in the wilderness or something....controller setting never crossed my mind.

I leave my freedom chip in all the time. (borrowed time, I know) Good thing is Mrs Scooter enjoys riding around in the cart, so when I smoke my controller, she won't let it sit long before the new Alltrax goes in!
Scooter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
NickS
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Na, I was talking about which chip (if any) is best. Last time I checked the fence for the cows, I had the freedom chip in and it was acting weird. Plus the controller was really hot. I assumed it was because I was driving around slow (which I know your not supposed to do). Took it out and It was better. I was just wondering if the steep hill, mild hill, or even no chip at all was easier onthe controller going up small hills and riding through fields. I realize I'm on "borrowed time", but I just don't want to replace all of stuff. I was just curious I guess if a different setting or anything else would maybe "borrow" me some more time :).
Old 09-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes no chip & stay away from plowed or soft footing and creeping or slow driving. These things will borrow you the most time.

The engineers have stated numerous times that controller damage is accumulative. You have had 2 small failures, the Big One is coming, I just can't say when. Certainly, a Controller is a reasonable investment if it is the cart in your avatar?
Old 09-28-2011, 12:28 PM   #8
desigmon
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

So if you have a 400 amp Alltrax and reduce the output via programming will that "save" your controller?
desigmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:31 AM   #9
ColbyKiller
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by desigmon View Post
So if you have a 400 amp Alltrax and reduce the output via programming will that "save" your controller?
????
ColbyKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:27 AM   #10
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

From what I have read and seen the 400 is perfect for the stock PDS carts and Stock motor. The 500 has to de turned down for the stock motor. But if you plan on doing the motor or getting it rewound by PlumQuick then you can turn it up.
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO