lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
swampers82
Not Yet Wild

Default how to check for a bad battery

my cart left me stranded today while hunting. i hit a bump coming out and it slowed down and quit moving. I let it sit a sec and put it back in fwd it went very slow then started go stop go stop then stop for good. u could smell like a rotten egg smell. u can let it sit a bit and it will do the same thing. does anyone know what I can start checking. one battery was hot on one side while all the others where cool. I tried checking the batteries all were the same reading. but dont really know what im doing. I can touch a pos and the frame and get the same reading as the battery. is this normal. thanks
swampers82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: how to check for a bad battery

You should not have power at the frame, that is likely a short..... you may have a bad battery or two. Connect the meter to the pack and drive, tell us what the readings drop to.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

also check all your cables make sure nothing happened........for the heck of it check the water in each one and when done checking voltage load test them............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
swampers82
Not Yet Wild

is there any specific terminals you touch when checking?
Old 12-01-2011, 08:48 PM   #5
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

" rotten egg smell " is usually the result of a bad cell in a battery. When you hit the bump, it may have jammed some of the plates shorting out the cell and causing the heat you described. A voltage under load test will show up a bad battery.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:48 PM   #6
Super Cart Man
Not Yet Wild

i do know when you are checking for a bad batttery the cart needs to have a slight load on it meaning put a wood block or something in front of your tire and press on the gas slightly and then check each battery individually.
Super Cart Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:04 PM   #7
swampers82
Not Yet Wild

i put my meter on DC 50 all batteries read 46. I touch pos and frame meter goes to 150 then I touch the pos that goes to solenoid and the neg that has the inline fuse and it pegs my needle out. Is this right. Ill go do a load test
Old 12-01-2011, 09:23 PM   #8
swampers82
Not Yet Wild

I just checked the voltage under a load the battery that was hot today started at 46 and under a load went to 0 and smoke come out of a fill hole. all other batteries never moved off of 46.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:11 PM   #9
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

try checking each one by itself..........i take it that 46 is pack voltage and if though you really need to go over each battery also the frame voltage is worrisome..............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car