lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-31-2012, 10:22 PM   #1
tuf-duc
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Batteries add water or acid?

I've got a 2005 series cart with original batteries. Believe it or not, they still show 6.4 volt each at full charge with no appreciable drop 6hrs after charge. My question at what point do i need to add acid instead of water when its time to refill?
tuf-duc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-31-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Batteries add water or acid?

Considering you have gotten 7 years of service out of them, I wouldn't change a thing on your maintenance routine. Keep the plates covered with distilled water, and the cases and terminals clean.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuf-duc View Post
I've got a 2005 series cart with original batteries. Believe it or not, they still show 6.4 volt each at full charge with no appreciable drop 6hrs after charge. My question at what point do i need to add acid instead of water when its time to refill?
To what the G-Man said, but to answer your question:

Unless you spill some electrolyte, you never need to add acid; And since the voltage on 7 year old batteries is 6.37 or better after 6 hours rest, I seriously doubt if you've spilled any.
(No sulfur ions are lost in the discharge/recharge process. During discharge they bond with the lead and during recharge they return to the electrolyte, except for a few that stay bonded to the plates.)

If you really want to be sure, check the Specific Gravity of the electrolyte. Here is a chart for Trojan Batteries.
Other manufacturers may use different acid concentrations, but what you are looking for is about the same SG in all cells in each battery and a little wider tolerance between batteries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SOC chart from Trojan Battery..JPG (52.9 KB, 14 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
tuf-duc
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info guys. Every year I keep expecting to need to change batteries but the voltage charge stays at an acceptable level. Going on 7 years! Thats crazy.
tuf-duc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I'm curious.
What manufacturer and model batteries do you have?
What Charger?
How often do you charge your batteries or at what SoC do you recharge?
How often do you clean and water?

Whatever you've got and whatever you are doing, it appears to be working pretty good.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuf-duc View Post
Thanks for the info guys. Every year I keep expecting to need to change batteries but the voltage charge stays at an acceptable level. Going on 7 years! Thats crazy.
I got nine years out of my Exide E-3600s, but finally replaced them just after their ninth birthday last year. From what I gather, this is pretty rare.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2870.JPG (310.4 KB, 12 views)
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO