lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
RedLionCookie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default I need help testing a solenoid on a 93 marathon series cart

I have a 93 ezgo Marathon series cart I just bought. Not running. I have put in 6 new batteries. They are reading 38 volts. I hard wired the motor and the motor is working. I am now trying to find the problem. I have checked the key switch and it seems to be working. I have also checked the forward and reverse switch and it seems to be working.

I am thinking my problem is at the solenoid. There are 4 posts on the top of the solenoid. Two are large and two are small. One of the small posts has a black wire running to it, the other has a red wire running to it. When I test the black side with the Positive side of my battery pack it reads 38. When I test the red side with the negative side of my battery pack it reads 0.

I think this is a problem. Now what?

Last edited by RedLionCookie; 02-03-2012 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: misprint
RedLionCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: I need help testing a solenoid on a 93 marathon series cart

RLC, the small terminals are the solenoid activation circuit. When voltage is applied across these terminals (via the accelerator microswitch) the solenoid energizes and allows pack power to flow to the speed controller, and on to the motor.

In most systems you can test the solenoid by jumping the large terminals with a 6g minimum cable and trying to operate the cart. This removes the solenoid from the current flow, and if the jumper works, the solenoid OR the activation circuit is bad.
gornoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Your cart has two circuits that make it run, a low and high amp circuit.
The low amp circuit applies power, by way of key switch, pedal and shifter micro switches to the solenoid to activate the high amp circuit.
Power and ground to the two small terminals activate the solenoid to energize the high amp circuit.
You have determined one small terminal (black wire) has ground so remove the other small wire (red) and jumper from positive pack voltage to that post.
If the soleniod clicks you should have pack voltage at both large posts, if you don't hear it click or it clicks but don't have pack voltage at both large posts the solenoid is bad.
If it clicks and you have P/V at both large posts then click on the link below and follow your solenoid activation circuit from the solenoid (red wire) back to the battery pack to find your problem.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-diagrams.html
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
RedLionCookie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok I just pulled the small red wire off the solenoid. Ran a jumper from the post to the positive side of the battery pack. The solenoid clicked and when I pushed the pedal the motor engaged.

Following the wire back it connects to a black box at the top of the gas pedal assembly. I do not have power on that side. I do have power on the other side coming in from the forward and reverse switch.

I now believe the problem is in this black box.

Can somebody tell me what it is called and how do I replace it?

I feel like I'm getting close.

Last edited by RedLionCookie; 02-03-2012 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: First response no longer valid.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Here is a schematic for your cart.

Starting at BL+, it goes through the Keyswitch, then through a Microswitch (MS-2) od F/R assembly, then through the Microswitch on the Throttle assembly (MS-3) and finally to the Solenoid.

You don't have B+ at MS-3, so check for it at MS-2 and the at Key switch if it isn't there.

--------
Re-read your last post. Sounds like MS-3 is bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PotBoxcartwiringdiagram.jpg (110.7 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by JohnnieB; 02-04-2012 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: Added comments
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That's what I suspected, (which is why I wanted you to test the activation circuit before you jumped into buying a new solenoid) The part you're looking for is called the potentiometer micro switch for an ezgo marathon 1991-94. OEM# 10606-G5

Glad you got it figured out, you should be running in no time.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
rib33024

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
rib33024

so hows it running
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #9
RedLionCookie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Need to get new microswitch

Using the one I have or now but it doesn't open and close. Cart is running like a champ!

Thank you all for your help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO