lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-27-2012, 05:30 AM   #1
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Alternative to Voltage Converter?

My neighbor emailed this to me late last night, so I'm just looking at it this morning. Admittedly, my coffee hasn't kicked in yet, but I can't find anything wrong with it.

Comments?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tn.jpg (19.4 KB, 36 views)
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Alternative to Voltage Converter?

The output voltage will be a bit higher since 6V batteries are 6.37V at full charge (or 11.54V out) and don't get down to 6.05 until they are at 50% Soc.

I'd probably use 4 x 1N1184 and 4 x 1N1184R stud mount power rectifiers on two heavy gauge aluminum heat sinks, electrically isolated from each other and the cart frame.

1N1184's and their anode stud counterparts are 35A each and there are 4 in parallel, so you could power more audio than us old guys can tolerate and maybe install some HID headlights.

The set-up has the potential for some serious arc welding, so it isn't a project for a novice, and I'd probably add a few fuses to keep from burning the posts of the batteries in case something went terribly wrong.

Might give new meaning to having a Sparky type cart.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Thanks. I'll have to dig through my semiconductor drawer to see what I already have on hand. I agree with your comment on fusing, and would fuse each connection, if I decide to go this route. I was aware he was wrong on the voltages, and the stereo is the only load I have that would care, and I can test that out pretty easily.

Last weekend I sketched up how I want to power my gadgts and dug through my terminal strip to see what I had. I had planned on using a voltage converter and a marine grade fuse block, and was looking for locations to mount them. I would have to mount the voltage converter either under my charging jack, if it would fit, or under the rear seat. If this works, it would simplify things, and I'd probably reuse my 40 amp four pole relay, controlled by the keyswitch.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Dude, you have a semiconductor drawer?
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Isn't the output voltage ( 12V ) going to fluctuate with the soc of the battery pack? I mean would it still remain in useable limits for 12V accessories provided you remain in the 100 - 70% soc?
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
Isn't the output voltage ( 12V ) going to fluctuate with the soc of the battery pack? I mean would it still remain in useable limits for 12V accessories provided you remain in the 100 - 70% soc?
It wouldn't be any worse than when I did this, with the added losses through the diodes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10.jpg (102.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
Dude, you have a semiconductor drawer?
Doesn't everyone? Its next to my capacitor drawer, and just above my resistor drawer.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
Other than some of the higher power audio amps, most electronic gadgets run at less than 12V and need adapters so they can be plugged into lighter type 12V outlets.

I'm not up to speed on the audio amps on the market theses days, but all I see is the possibility of some clipping and the bass getting muddy when the volume is cranked up. Back off on the volume and it'll probably sound just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
..............the stereo is the only load I have that would care, and I can test that out pretty easily.
FWIW: I used to run a mobile CB with a picture of a snake on it and some strange transistors in it, as a base station using a home brew power supply that only put out 11.5V (@ 30A) and it did okay.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Doesn't everyone? Its next to my capacitor drawer, and just above my resistor drawer.
Better watch out, people are going to trying to get into your drawers.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Better watch out, people are going to trying to get into your drawers.
If they do, I'll have to use this on them. I keep it next to my "drawers".

I struck out on finding enough matching rectifiers. Here's the biggest semiconductor I have.

If they still come after my drawers, I can always use this on 'em.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2097.jpg (178.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2101.jpg (163.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2092.jpg (174.5 KB, 4 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO