lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
multifasited
Not Yet Wild

Default Posted wrong forum I think,newbee

82 ezgo elec resistor ,had for two yrs ,needed original wires replaced due to age
and corrosion ,replaced excellerator contacts new wiper ,all wires 4 ga. now,rusty bolts replaced all contacts cleaned and trued ,resistor coils cleaned & trued ,straightened and aligned ,new bolts and wires ,May have mis -read pictorial of schematic this site darkest ink most winding lightest ink fewest biggest coil windings .may have in reverse order,What effect would this have ,allsystems work reverse forward ,just low speed in forward ,no excelleration in upper swing of excell petal even thou there is plenty of movement and contact ,it's the only thing I can think of Any help to resolve this issue would be gratefully appreciated ! Carl
multifasited is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-04-2012, 06:39 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Posted wrong forum I think,newbee

Don't worry about not being able to figure out which coil is which from the thickness of the lines they are drawn with on the schematic. I've been deciphering schematics and wiring diagrams for 50+ years and in several languages, but can't tell for sure if the heavier lines mean thicker wire is used for the coil, more turns of wire in the coil or more resistance.

My guess is that the thicker the line, the greater the resistance, but I might be wrong.

You can measure the coils (Resistors) with an Ohmmeter to find out, but that still won't tell you what order they are connected to the accelerator contacts.

Fortunately, position #1 on the accelerator puts all three coils in series with the motor and Position #4 bypasses them all, so the question becomes: Is the coil with the most resistance or least resistance eliminated when the accelerator moves from the #1 contact to the #2 contact?

Hope this helps.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
multifasited
Not Yet Wild

Johnie B.Thank you,your message helpful.analysis of resistor shading makes
perfect sense ,I reversed resistors ,re- cleaned sweeper ,draw filed sweep contacts to be sure they were flat and true, reassembled ,rechecking every thing ,noloxed all connections .Seems to operate corectly and smoothly now!
still have two questions Why the lead from the solenoid to #1 as well as the wiper? No.2 Tried and failed to achieve a ohm's reading on all s.s.resistors indivually or combined ,simpson ,as well as digital go to 0 shows only continunity .know any way to get reading? I'm going to try checking voltage
at each juntion to see stepping slo-fast. After I rejack it up and block it!
I bought it ,on a whime two yrs ago ,bat rack rusted out ,no bats ,rewelded frame ,did serious body work ,made new seat reapolstered,made top ,new batteries ,thankfully the charger worked ,made golf bag rack ,I use every day
You don't expect or get much for $50.00 ,last yr .I bought a ezgo gas ,yahmaha.in pieces it's my back -up gave same treatment works good
but smokes ,rings I guess ,halve to go into it this fall.right now ,helps keep the bugs down ,LOL ! My Very best To You Carl
Old 05-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
lithoman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by multifasited View Post
Johnie B.Thank you,your message helpful.analysis of resistor shading makes
perfect sense ,I reversed resistors ,re- cleaned sweeper ,draw filed sweep contacts to be sure they were flat and true, reassembled ,rechecking every thing ,noloxed all connections .Seems to operate corectly and smoothly now!
still have two questions Why the lead from the solenoid to #1 as well as the wiper? No.2 Tried and failed to achieve a ohm's reading on all s.s.resistors indivually or combined ,simpson ,as well as digital go to 0 shows only continunity .know any way to get reading? I'm going to try checking voltage
at each juntion to see stepping slo-fast. After I rejack it up and block it!
I bought it ,on a whime two yrs ago ,bat rack rusted out ,no bats ,rewelded frame ,did serious body work ,made new seat reapolstered,made top ,new batteries ,thankfully the charger worked ,made golf bag rack ,I use every day
You don't expect or get much for $50.00 ,last yr .I bought a ezgo gas ,yahmaha.in pieces it's my back -up gave same treatment works good
but smokes ,rings I guess ,halve to go into it this fall.right now ,helps keep the bugs down ,LOL ! My Very best To You Carl
, , , , , , , ,
lithoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:38 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by multifasited View Post
.........still have two questions
Why the lead from the solenoid to #1 as well as the wiper?
No.2 Tried and failed to achieve a ohm's reading on all s.s.resistors indivually or combined ,simpson ,as well as digital go to 0 shows only continunity .know any way to get reading? ................
1. I've wondered about that also. My guess is that it's to reduce arcing on #1 contact.
The designed must have been approved before the lawyers and accountants took over.
(If the solenoid contacts weld closed, the Cart will run at the #1 speed until you disconnect a battery cable.)

2. I don't have the foggiest about the actual Ohmic values of the resistor coils, but I don't think they would be much. Maybe less than 1 Ohm.

I'd attach a DVM from F2 to A1 on the motor and measure the voltage being applied to the motor at the various speeds.
Since the voltage drop across the resistor(s) will vary with respect to the Amps passing through it, I measure under actual driving conditions as well as when the wheels where off the ground.

If you do it, please post the results here or PM them to me.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:10 AM   #6
multifasited
Not Yet Wild

Thank you sir,I will do it today ,and post !
M.V.B. Carl
Old 05-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #7
multifasited
Not Yet Wild

OK! up on jack stands 27 30 33 35.6 volts

up the drive and on the course 15 21--24--29 volts

I perm.mounted copper studs ,w/ lock holes ,and velcro mounted cheap dvm
as shown in pix. I thought that would be handy ,to check battery conditions any time as well as trouble shooting any number of things as well as all ways having a meter cheap or not with me.

I'm sure those numbers mean a lot more to you than to me right now ,so any extra data or questions please feel free !

I saw your post on nolox compound ,I have been known to mix fine copper grinding dust into a dib of noxol before application of worrysome connection.

two of my cart batteries bolts {stud -bolt ]combination became loose in the lead , both neg.Terminals I have some sheet copper cut a tapered sleeve out of copper cleaned both sides noloxed and sleeved two POSITIVE marine conversion connectors ,on to the studs ,primarly because I did not have 2 neg . on hand ,do not over tighten you will crack the lead clamp and loose connection.
I did have the 2 pos.left over. For any one interested in a couple elec. tips that will same mucho grief, (one) never twist the wire your putting into a stacon {crimp] connector even thou it is easier especially on small wires ,I repeat never,twisted do not make solid lasting connections ,straight wires crimped
correctly are stronger than the wire it self .Fact !! [2] 99% intermitten problems especially ,DC we are talking about now trailer ,camper ,cars, boats ,carts ! BEFORE anything else check the GROUND Every time!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carts and course 004.JPG (114.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg carts and course 005.JPG (126.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg carts and course 006.JPG (117.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info.

See what I mean about it depending on current flow?
On jackstands the voltage at the motor it is 74% - 82% - 90% -100%
While under actual driving conditions it is 51% - 72% - 82% - 100%

If you have a GPS, what is the speed at the various throttle positions?

Interesting setup with the DMM. With some good alligator clips, you could ferret out voltage drops under load across specific battery cables/connections and the contacts of the F/R switch and Throttle. Any resistance (Voltage Drop) at all anyplace in the high current (motor) circuit, slows you down.

I'm not sure about Marathons and Medalists, but the frames in later model carts are not grounded. All operational and accessory electrical items are (or should be) two wire.

I did a double take on the pictures. A coal fired power plant with a very similar silhouette appears in some of the pictures I take.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO