lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
pcarenthuz
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2002 EZGO TXT Series Motor Removal?

I'm not throwing in the towel quite yet but this motor doesn't want to move off the differential housing more than maybe 1/8". I've got every visible bolt out of the thing. It simply seems like there is some sort of snap ring somewhere.

I've studied the threads here at BGW and it sounds like I just need to continue to apply measured bouts of violence with this thing.

Or am I perhaps missing something really obvious?

I've soaked things down pretty well with penetrating oil.

Thoughts?

Pat Arnold
pcarenthuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2002 EZGO TXT Series Motor Removal?

I haven't removed my motor yet but I can't see any reason for it to "hangup". If you are still on the gound, try lifting it. If you are in the air, put back on the ground. Something could be torquing the punkin set.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
options89
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I had to apply even pressure witha couple small pry bars on either site of the motor. It took a little bit but it eventually gave and came off easy.
options89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

There is a snap ring which is holding the input shaft in which is what the motor is stuck onto. I don't know if you can get to it by removing the can? but remove the can from the motor for starters and see.
I'm leary of prying against the housing after breaking one that way once.
Next try a cutting torch and heat the armature then spray cold penetrate in on the shaft, then let it cool and heat it again & re apply the cold penetrate. Repeat this and retry alittle force. Try hitting the motor on with a mini-sledge.. what you want to do is break that rust bond.

whatever you do you are going to destroy the motor, what you want to do is save the rear end and possibly the input shaft. maybe this diagram will help you see what you are up against.
Let us know what happens.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TXT Elec Diff Exploded.JPG (82.7 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
pcarenthuz
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you, Scott! The diagram is quite helpful.

I'll keep all y'alls posted.

Pat ARnold
Old 11-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sometimes using a block of wood and a stout hammer and knocking the motor towards the axle will help get it loose. After you push it toward the axle then try pulling it off again. Going back and forth will sometimes get it off! The splines get rusted together where the motor connects to the axle. Good Luck on it! They can be a pain!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #7
pcarenthuz
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Victory at last! I ended up removing the stator/overall motor housing. From there I could get decent access to where the rotor sat on the input shaft. I used Kroil Oil (best penetrant on the planet) on the shaft and simultaneously tapped on the rotor with a mallet while attempting to wiggle it up and down and out and off of the differential input shaft.

Seems someone forgot to put some moly grease on that shaft when the motor was last installed --perhaps at the factory.

Pat Arnold
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO