lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #11
woodrow256
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Where to start with EZGO Marathon Electric Restoration

You need to upgrade your controller and possibly go to 48v in the process. I had the same issue with my marathon not wanting to climb hills.
woodrow256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #12
fire4034
Not Yet Wild

There has got to be someone on BGW that has been in my position? I would love to see a build from ground up that takes one of these old Marathon carts to 48V and does all of the upgrades that I want (lift, radio, paint, wheels & tires).

Thanks for the input about the speed controller update... Now I have a ton of questions about what to upgrade with?

What controller?
Do I need different motor going to 48v system?
What else has to be changed out?
What battery configuration is best?

Man I just want to start tearing it down, but I know I should have a plan first!

Frank
fire4034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #13
Trip
Not Yet Wild

Hello

I havent been around here to long myself. I picked up a 1994 Ezgo Medalist in part for a car that I traded a few months back.

My wife wasnt impressed, but I had alot of fun restoring this cart. It was junk when I got it paint, tires, pretty much the entire cart. The batteries were the only thing good and those had a receipt from a year or so ago. With my cart, I completed paint, tires, had to rebuild the battery box, re did all of the wiring, and just detailed alot of parts.

My opinion to you, by the time you have the cart stripped right down to the skeleton you will have enough free time to surf this forum and take alot of ideas.

Just my 2 cents, just jump into with some what of a plan, things never go as you wish. Especially with an older cart. I gave myself a $600 budget. As it is an older golf cart. And the first cart I have ever had, and its just fun toy for the neighbourhood

Hope that helps
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #14
ab46501
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire4034 View Post
There has got to be someone on BGW that has been in my position? I would love to see a build from ground up that takes one of these old Marathon carts to 48V and does all of the upgrades that I want (lift, radio, paint, wheels & tires).

Thanks for the input about the speed controller update... Now I have a ton of questions about what to upgrade with?

What controller?
Do I need different motor going to 48v system?
What else has to be changed out?
What battery configuration is best?

Man I just want to start tearing it down, but I know I should have a plan first!

Frank
Alltrax would be my suggestion, AXE4844 400 amp, it would be plenty on 48v. You would need a new solenoid too. The good news is you can use the stock motor if it is in good condition. Eight 6v would give you longer run time then six 8v but you will have to find a place for the two extra batteries.
ab46501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:27 PM   #15
virtualy
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab46501 View Post
Marathon carts are not known for their speed or torque.
I did everything else to my cart except the 48v and if I had to do it over again I would go 48v from the start.
Didn't know that about Marathons. So if a guy needed a cart to haul dirt and gravel up a 20% grade, a Marathon would be a poor choice?

Would 48 V help?

Resistor vs controller - does that make any difference as regards torque?

Thanks.
virtualy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #16
ab46501
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualy View Post
Didn't know that about Marathons. So if a guy needed a cart to haul dirt and gravel up a 20% grade, a Marathon would be a poor choice?

Would 48 V help?

Resistor vs controller - does that make any difference as regards torque?

Thanks.
A stock Marathon would not be a good choice. They are not totally inept but for anything other than golf they need upgrading. If you go with 48v you would be fine.

I am not resistor cart expert but........... you have tons of more options and better electronics with the controller and it is much easier to add torque if you need it.
ab46501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO