lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
CartsOfAnarchy
Not Yet Wild

Default 94 Club Car, Slower with high speed motor

I have a 36v 94 Club Car with 25" tires, 4 awg wire, 400 amp solenoid, and 400a controller. With my stock motor, i was doing 17mph even before i upgraded the controller. The controller helped torque and kept speed constant. Last week i received my high speed upgrade from PLUM QUICK and installed it only to find that it slowed my cart to 12mph. The guys at PLUM QUICK were baffled by my results so i gave them the benefit of the doubt and assumed the HPD in my controller might be causing the issue. I bought a 400a ALLTRAX AXE controller hoping to solve the issue, and once again no dice. So i went to an 11hp/48v D&D motor which i assume is around 8hp on 36v. This motor brought the cart up to 16 mph but still not enough obviously. (and it whistles now)
Im assuming that there is something else causing the issue that is coincidental to the motor install.
CartsOfAnarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-11-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Default Re: 94 Club Car, Slower with high speed motor

Only thing I can think of is you are getting torque motors and not speed motors. Plus those 25 inch tires are not helping, they are gunna require more torque which your 36 volt system will struggle with.

That 11 HP at 48 volt is a torque motor and will not help your speed. If you want help selecting a motor just ask.

In fact do a google search of 6.1 HP @ 4600 rpm (speeds up to 23 mph)

That is what you want, high rpm for a faster motor.

Still your biggest obsticle is those tall tires. I have 20's on the rear of my 48 volt 2008 precedent with a high speed motor and get about 25 MPH + (with a new battery pack). You are stretching it to expect much out of your current setup.
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
CartsOfAnarchy
Not Yet Wild

I considered that, but why would the stock motor turn them no problem at higher speeds than an upgraded motor? The second motor I tried, 11hp, came off a 48v cart that went 26 mph on 23" tires. The stock motor gave me 15 mph with stock tires and bumped up to 17mph when I did the lift and tires. So naturally I assumed a Plum Quick would put me in the 20's.
I have a friend with same setup as me but resistors and was doing 24 with an unknown speed motor. We just converted his cart to controller and v-glide and he went to 22mph, added 2 more 6 volts for a 48 volt setup and he's at 30mph.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
CartsOfAnarchy
Not Yet Wild

Any other ideas for troubleshooting? I know it'll go faster if I can just isolate the problem and fix it.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Adding voltage will increase rpm
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #6
ArmyVetSgtAdkins
Philippians 4:13

Club Car

Have. You checked to make sure your brakes aren't dragging at all
ArmyVetSgtAdkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #7
CartsOfAnarchy
Not Yet Wild

I plan on adding voltage, but I'd still be ignoring the fact that it is not performing to its full potential. And the brakes aren't dragging because it rolls easy and once again I point out that with the stock motor I was doin 17mph
Old 02-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
Beville84
Not Yet Wild

The way i understand it voltage=speed, so if u are running 36v to a 48v motor it probably would run slower than 36v to a 36v motor.
Beville84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If your new motor was designed to run on 48V, it will run slow on 36V.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
CartsOfAnarchy
Not Yet Wild

I try not to be too long winded because on forums as soon as you open a post and see a huge paragraph, it usually doesn't get totally read. But here goes.

36v club car stock (275a controller)-13mph
Add 4awg wire throughout -15mph
Add 8" lift 25" tires. -17mph
Add 400a Curtis controller. -17mph+torque
Add Plum Quick 36v Bandit motor. -14mph
Add Alltrax AXE4844 controller. -14mph
Add D&D 11hp/48v 8hp/36v motor -16mph
Add 22mph motor from friends cart. -18mph
(Our carts are identical, his is 22mph/36v, 25/48v @ 400a setting on his AXE4855 and 30mph/48v @ 500a setting) ( motor was a Craigslist deal so we don't know what the specs are on it)
Put my D&D motor on his cart, he gets 19mph + A Lot of Torque @48v@400a

I put the Plum Quick on my parents' stock 48v and it went from 12mph to 20mph so they are all smiles and adopted that motor for good.
I came to the conclusion that the D&D motor is a torque motor ( thanks to the member who suggested that idea )
So now I'm just going to sell the D&D and find something that can put me in the 20's however I still feel like there is an issue somewhere that is holding me back based on all the tests and comparisons.
And yes I even put my friends batteries in my cart to make sure that wasn't the problem and there was no change.
I also put his beefed up F&R switch on just to be sure. I also bypassed the 400a solenoid to cross that off as well.
I took readings on the laptop from the controller while driving and it confirms that I am getting 100% throttle input so the v-glide is good as well.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car