lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
IowaDeer4
Not Yet Wild

Default New Trojan Battery Issues, Help?

Just bought brand new 2013 Trojan Batteries for my Precedent. Got it home drove around the farm for awhile... charged it and it took 6 hours and made the garage smell like rotten eggs. Just took it out tonight and drove probably about 3 miles total (1.5 hours stop and go)... and got to the house and while braking the battery light came on a few times. Hooked it up to the charger and it read 11 - 12 amps and ended up checking it a few minutes ago (been charging for 1.5 hours now) and it still is about 10 amps. I am really just confused on why the battery is draining like that and taking forever to charge. About to call the dealer in the morning.

Any ideas, feedback?

Signed,
Baffled
IowaDeer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
IowaDeer4
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: New Trojan Battery Issues, Help?

Let me add.. dealer ended up installing a light kit in it as well. Could swear I smelled a burning smell the first time out but it went away.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
Schunter
Gone Wild

Club Car

Check this out ,,http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter...n_Methods.html
Schunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
jantrree
Gone Wild
Club Car

What year precedent? 12 batteries or 8v? Did they install a voltage reducer? Do you know how lights are hooked up?
jantrree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
IowaDeer4
Not Yet Wild

2005. 12 Volt Batteries. Not sure how lights are hooked up and don't think I have a voltage reducer. I have yet to run the lights. Just checked the charger and it's down to 3 amps and it's been charging for 4.5 hours now. Looks like it's almost done.

Schunter sent that article which was helpful tips. Just don't know if something is not right since the light started flashing as I was stopping closer to the end of my 3+ mile trip. I would estimate I only went 3 - 4 miles. Can't believe I only went that far and have to re-charge it for 4.5 hours... but that may be part of charging the batteries the first dozen times or so?
Old 03-04-2013, 06:27 AM   #6
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaDeer4 View Post
2005. 12 Volt Batteries. Not sure how lights are hooked up and don't think I have a voltage reducer. I have yet to run the lights. Just checked the charger and it's down to 3 amps and it's been charging for 4.5 hours now. Looks like it's almost done.

Schunter sent that article which was helpful tips. Just don't know if something is not right since the light started flashing as I was stopping closer to the end of my 3+ mile trip. I would estimate I only went 3 - 4 miles. Can't believe I only went that far and have to re-charge it for 4.5 hours... but that may be part of charging the batteries the first dozen times or so?
. . . new batteries can take up to 40-50 charge cycles before they reach optimum capacity. . . just make sure you keep them plugged in until the charger/OBC run their charge cycle, which can take up to 16 hours . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
IowaDeer4
Not Yet Wild

Thanks fellow michigander! I am from St. Joseph/Benton Harbor Michigan.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaDeer4 View Post
Thanks fellow michigander! I am from St. Joseph/Benton Harbor Michigan.

. . . I'm up here about 20 miles east of Holland . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car