lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-19-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
Dustinboyd
Not Yet Wild

Default Only moves after disconnecting & reconnecting battery pack

1995 CC DS 48V F/R is toggle switch.

After the cart sits for awhile - about a day or so, if you turn the key on, the cart will not go in either forward or reverse. The buzzer does come on and the pack if fully charged. I don't think I hear any clicking like I've read could mean a solenoid problem.

If I disconnect the battery pack (the main negative) and reconnect it, everything works fine again until it sits for a few days again. Then I just repeat the process of disconnecting & reconnecting. The only thing I've done right before this happened is install new battery cables (not the main pos and neg, just the 5 battery to battery cables), and they are all installed correctly in the correct order. I also cleaned all of the terminals.

I haven't found a post where anyone else has this problem. It looks like for everyone else, it just completely won't ever move.

Any ideas?
Dustinboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-19-2014, 08:18 PM   #2
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Only moves after disconnecting & reconnecting battery pack

If by "toggle" switch you mean Rocker Switch, then you have a "very original" Regen 1, like I do. So...again, if you have a rocker switch for F/R (and no run/tow switch under the seat), then turning the key should cause a solenoid to click. If you turn the key and hear a click - and if you don't move the cart - in 10 to 20 seconds you will hear that same solenoid un-click (I just invented this word, but you know what I mean). That means the Regen 1 KEY ON circuit is functioning correctly.

If you don't hear anything when you turn the key, then likely you have a failed/failing solenoid or loose connections on your key switch.

If you have a LEVER for F/R - then ignore everything I wrote above.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:03 PM   #3
Dustinboyd
Not Yet Wild

My cart is exactly like you described. I'll have to listen for the click when I turn the key on tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for the info, I'll update here when I know more.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #4
Dustinboyd
Not Yet Wild

Well I tried it out today and it was having a good day because it worked right away without me having to disconnect the batteries. It clicked on as it should have. I'll update with what I hear or don't hear the next time it doesn't work.

I still think it's not a solenoid issue because of how I can get it to work by disconnecting and reconnecting the batteries, and the coincidence that I just replaced all of the battery cables.

Thank you so far, I know I'll need more help soon. Thanks!
Old 04-02-2014, 08:32 AM   #5
Dustinboyd
Not Yet Wild

Ok, so I tried it out last night after it's been sitting for a week plus. Turned the key, solenoid clicked on, put the cart in forward, hit the pedal and nothing happened. Tried reverse, buzzer came on, but the pedal did nothing. Tried turning the key off and on again and nothing worked.

I disconnected just the negative side of the battery pack, reconnected it, and everything works fine. I've never heard of such a problem before. It's an easy temporary "fix" but its a pain to have to disconnect and reconnect the battery every time it doesnt work. Any ideas?
Old 04-02-2014, 08:53 AM   #6
greg-g
Gone Wild

If this is indeed the case I see one of two issues obc or controller, next time unplug the obc connector and replug then try it. if that does not work then unplug the controller harness and try. Do it in that order.
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:45 AM   #7
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

OK - Similar to greg-g I think there is a chance that the wire that goes between your speed controller and the OBC is intermittent or corroded to the point its become unreliable. It is designed to prevent you from driving off while your charger is plugged in - so essentially your controller becomes disabled while charging. If its a problem, you will still hear the reverse buzzer and the solenoid click (I think) but no-go.

Check that wire for obvious signs of corrosion/bad connection. You can see it on the Regen 1 diagram - it can be bypassed (that's described somewhere in this forum) in case that function within your OBC has permanently failed. But this sounds intermittent.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:05 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

When you disconnect power and reconnect it you are essentially rebooting the speed controller. I have seen where this resets a solenoid activation fault in the controller half of the circuit. You can test the solenoid activation circuit when the cart wont go to see if this is a problem that applies.

If you can run a temporary 48v neg wire to the neg side of the solenoid (small wires) and the problem goes away then you have a controller fault.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:24 AM   #9
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks Scotty - that was the bypass I was thinking of. Actually I've seen carts with that "temporary" bypass left permanently. Kinda defeats the purpose of that circuit, but with Regen 1 controllers being a bit hard-to-come-by, I suppose stuff like that happens.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:08 AM   #10
Dustinboyd
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help, I'll try that out as soon as I get home.

I didn't mention, but it sounds relevant - I do have a smart charger bought from Scotty with a wire going from the back of the charger receptacle to the negative of the battery pack to bypass the OBC since it's bad.

Thanks for the help, will update when I find out more, thanks!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car