lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2014, 10:11 AM   #1
cjpenny89
Gone Wild

Default 98 48 volt motor questions

I bought a 1998 48v Power drive plus. It needed new batteries which I replaced and the motor was toast all tore up. I bought a 48 volt non speed sensor motor becasue the guy told it would work if I just swapped out the speed sensor and end cap. I now think that you can not use a series motor inplace of a regen motor? The car will go in reverse in both fwd and rev on the selector switch. I only backed it up about 10'. when I first backed it up it smelled hot like I smoked a wire or componet. I quicky un-hooked the battery cable. My question is do you think I smoked the controller? I did more trouble shooting and had it all hooked back up and it still will go in reverse only. Can I use the older motor or is this the casue of my problems and I need to find a regen motor to put in there? Please advise I am a little frustrated at this point.
Thanks
Chad
cjpenny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-28-2014, 11:04 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 98 48 volt motor questions

There is a good change the field driver in the controller is toast. A series motor has a much lower field winding resistance and it could easily fry the controller.
The guy who told you it could work was incorrect.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:05 PM   #3
cjpenny89
Gone Wild

Ok does anyone know if I can find a used controller? what am I looking at speending? Should I just upgrade the controller? I bought the cart and bought new batteries for it plus $100.00 for a motor that may have junked my controller. What should I do now? Replace the motor with the correct regen motor then try it out or am I looking at more problems? I just don't want to install it and have more problems that I may cause by not doing this in the correct order.
Thanks
Old 04-28-2014, 01:24 PM   #4
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

Remove the series motor first and get the right motor and see where you are at from there
sunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:04 PM   #5
cjpenny89
Gone Wild

is there any specific part number I should look for on a replacement?
If I can not find a used one where is a good place to get a new one and if I might hae to upgrade or buy new what motor should I look at upgrading to?
Thanks for all the help.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:58 PM   #6
physcoflip
Getting Wild
Club Car

If you are not in a hurry you could probably get the old motor redone and upgraded from plum quick.
physcoflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:02 PM   #7
root0912
Not Yet Wild

I could sell you a good used motor controller that came off my 2000 ds series cart for a $100 plus shipping that would match your series motor. But I agree with getting a plum quick bandit motor for $225 and a new controller. I will try to post pics of the controller.
CURTIS PMC MOTOR CONTROLLER 48V 48 VOLT 225A MODEL 1204-410 CLUB CAR GOLF CART.jpg

48 VOLT 225A MODEL 1204-410 CLUB CAR GOLF CART.jpg
root0912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:19 PM   #8
cjpenny89
Gone Wild

I am looking into a Bandit motor he is checking to see if he has a core to build for me. I currently have a GE controller on my cart are those interchangeable?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car