lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2014, 11:18 AM   #21
jwitt333
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 36v TXT voltage reducer wiring help

Well when I looked it up online that is the feature I wanted. I wanted the ability to turn the 30amp off but still have the memory on the radio. I did not realize the key switch would be the problem. I talked to madjax on the phone and the seem to think that the little voltage coming out of the key switch will be enough to turn it on. When I get off work I am going to try. Fingers crossed.
jwitt333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2014, 11:20 AM   #22
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Yeah, I struggled with the memory wire. I was gonna use a separate 12 volt supply, like 4 3 volt button batteries, but since learned that my radio retains its memory for several seconds, so I may end up powering memory by 12 volts off the pack, then use a 12 volt relay on the reducer's output to switch memory wire to the reducer when it's turned on.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #23
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

That MadJax looks a LOT easier than what I'd have to do with mine. Using the switched output to the memory wire would be perfect. If your headlights blink when switched from F to R, who cares. The radio would die momentarily, but using the constant output would solve that, but you'd have to kill the radio and switch off the key switch.

I think for me, the complication of adding a relay to the memory wire would be preferable, but again, depends on how anal you are.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:41 AM   #24
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitt333 View Post
Well when I looked it up online that is the feature I wanted. I wanted the ability to turn the 30amp off but still have the memory on the radio. I did not realize the key switch would be the problem. I talked to madjax on the phone and the seem to think that the little voltage coming out of the key switch will be enough to turn it on. When I get off work I am going to try. Fingers crossed.
The voltage at the keyswitch of a PDS, ought to be very close to the battery pack voltage.
If it isn't, you've got a bad wire or dirty connection someplace.

Check the voltage at J1 Pins 4 & 5, that is where the controller gets the voltage for Auxiliary and Logic power.
If it is good there, check J3 Pins 1, 2, 3 & 4. They should all be at battery pack voltage.

Next place is J1 Pin-9. That is where the keyswitch gets its voltage. (White wire)

---------------
Just to be sure, you are making the voltage measurements with your handheld DVM's negative test lead attached to the main negative terminal of the battery pack aren't you?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:03 PM   #25
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I may see what the amp draw is on mine under no load condition. Even under full load, mine barely got warm, so it may be OK to just leave it running. After all, mine's hooked up to a DPI when not in use, so battery drain isn't a concern, unless parking all day drains the batteries, and generally I have the radio running, so...
Old 05-16-2014, 11:31 PM   #26
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

JohnnieB; It looks like B- and -12 volts must be a common. I don't see a -12 connection on the voltage reducer pin out. Usually DC to DC converters have a isolated input /output.

If you wire B+ from the key switch to the reducer the radio memory is going to have to be set up when key is switched on. If you wire it straight to B+ the voltage reducer is going to draw a little current even if nothing is connected to its output. The keep alive memory in the radio probably doesn't draw much current from 12 volt reducer output but the voltage reducer draws a little current all the time it is connected to battery voltage even if the radio is turned off and that is the current needs to be measured to get an idea how long the battery bank would run the reducer. If the cart is put on charge each day and the radio is not played too loud probably would be ok to run the reducer continuously but it still would be desirable to put a switch in the B+ line feeding it so you could cut the voltage to reducer off if needed.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 04:21 AM   #27
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

My 30 amp converter has a common negative for 48 volt input and 12 volt output.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:23 AM   #28
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

yurtle; I think your idea would work. If both negatives are tied together and the radio is wired to get main power from the 12 voltage reducer, if the keep alive memory has a light current drain it might be worth looking into and considering tapping the most negative two batteries to get the keep alive memory voltage when the reducer is switched off. Perhaps energize a small 12 volt relay with the reducer output. Also wire the reducer output to the relay normally open contact and the tapped battery voltage to the normally closed contact and the memory from the relay common or armature to the keep alive memory. The relay would supply one or the other voltage source at all times to the memory except the few milliseconds to pick up or drop out. The only time the tapped batteries would furnish memory current would be when the reducer is off.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:34 AM   #29
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

That was exactly my thought, and is why I chose a reducer with a common negative.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:06 AM   #30
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
That was exactly my thought, and is why I chose a reducer with a common negative.
I don't know for sure but I think you could tie any voltage reducer's input and output negative wires together in a golf cart application and get the same result. I have not done it but next time I get a chance working with one I will try it.

Tags
2007, 36v, madjax, txt, voltage reducer
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO