lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-20-2014, 08:18 AM   #11
Grinds6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Bigger tires go faster??

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I think you missed my point, but thats okay. The thread title is Will bigger tires make my cart go faster?
And then he talks about rim sizes and asking if 10s or 12s would make is cart faster. And as you pointed out 10s and 12s are not a tire size...so I am assuming he is talking about rim size...so I offered him an answer based on his wording of his question, and what I have on my cart that is the same model of cart.
I am just trying to help someone who is asking a question that I have had the same question with and found my answer.
Sorry if I missed your reply where you helped him.
Grinds6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2014, 08:26 AM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinds6 View Post
And then he talks about rim sizes and asking if 10s or 12s would make is cart faster. And as you pointed out 10s and 12s are not a tire size...so I am assuming he is talking about rim size...so I offered him an answer based on his wording of his question, and what I have on my cart that is the same model of cart.
I am just trying to help someone who is asking a question that I have had the same question with and found my answer.
Sorry if I missed your reply where you helped him.
Dont take it personal - My remark was a rant about all cart owners these days.
I wasn't talking to you specifically. I'm not sure I have even read your post . Sorry if I offended you. My post was just trying to wake people up to the fact that rim size is not the answer to what size tire are you running, okay? And yes that is helping.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:37 AM   #13
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

So your tire size that only rubs on a sharp turn, is it a 205/30-12, 215/40-12, etc?

I believe as far as rims the main concern is the offset, what wheel size and offset are you running, 12x7 3-4, 12x7 2-5, etc?

I was actually looking for this information and it is very hard to find on the site as folks mix a lot of different terminologies and options they have installed in their carts.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:49 AM   #14
Grinds6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Mine are 205-30-12. They are 12x7 with 1/2" offset. The rims and tires together are 18.5" tall. I bought them as a package deal off ebay for $575.

Last edited by Grinds6; 05-20-2014 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: added info
Grinds6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:57 AM   #15
greg-g
Gone Wild

Quote:
10 12 14s Arrrrgh !! These are NOT tire sizes - these are rim sizes....... Why WHY are people now so obsesssed by rims that they think 10 inch rim gives the tire size!? You can get tires from 20 to 25 inches tall for a 10 inch rim - this trend drives me nuts

What matters is the tire size (height) and not the rim size. So everybody, next time someone asks you how tall your tires are don't tell them what size the rims are.
WOW I thought it was just me that was bothered by this, I have been telling myself you not crazy, your not crazy, take a deep breath. thank you, thank you

Using a measuring device with the cart on the ground measure from the ground to the top of the tire this is the information needed, then you can use PI and some math to calculate speed.
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:07 AM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg-g View Post
WOW I thought it was just me that was bothered by this, I have been telling myself you not crazy, your not crazy, take a deep breath. thank you, thank you
Each we talk with people who want help with their drive system. A very common complaint we hear is I lifted the cart and now it lost power. Our standard inquiry is what size tires do you have...... 50% of them tell us what size rims. Unless tire sizes have become standardized, rim size is not the answer. Tire size changes the drive (gear) ratio. But I apologize if I offended Mr Grinds and anyone else. I hadn't had any coffee yet when i posted that
Old 05-20-2014, 09:18 AM   #17
greg-g
Gone Wild

Quote:
Each we talk with people who want help with their drive system. A very common complaint we hear is I lifted the cart and now it lost power. Our standard inquiry is what size tires do you have...... 50% of them tell us what size rims. Unless tire sizes have become standardized, rim size is not the answer. Tire size changes the drive (gear) ratio. But I apologize if I offended Mr Grinds and anyone else. I hadn't had any coffee yet when i posted that
Oh I did not mean you offended anybody! I was agreeing with you rim size means nothing. guess I'm not real good with the English language but its all I've got.
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:01 AM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg-g View Post
Oh I did not mean you offended anybody! I was agreeing with you rim size means nothing. guess I'm not real good with the English language but its all I've got.
We're good then, the keyboard misses something sometimes
Old 05-20-2014, 12:13 PM   #19
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Kingman, now that we've covered that 8, 10, and 12 inch are wheel and not tire sizes, the time comes to address the other part of your post.

You say you want speed, so increasing overall diameter of tires (that can be done with whatever size wheel you want, just so the tires are larger) will gain you speed, but ONLY ON FLAT GROUND, larger tires will KILL YOUR SPEED EVEN WORSE GOING UPHILL. (not trying to yell, just emphasize that this is important)

The way for you to gain TORQUE (what you need to maintain speed going uphill) is to get more amps flowing to the motor, which is done with a higher amperage controller. I recommend dealing with TahoeDawg if you're in GA, he knows what he's doing, unlike (so it sounds) whoever your current cart guy is.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:33 PM   #20
Kingman
Gone Wild

Ok l get the drift, the only problem that I have is how to get the cart to Augusta. I am off 85 at exit 126.?
By the way what is the name of David's Place?

Thanks

Alan
Kingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car