lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2014, 07:42 PM   #1
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default what to check

I have just installed a set of us batteries in a 2004 txt series ez go went from 36 to 48 volts
I changed all cables to 4 ga.
I replaced solenoid with a heavy duty one (200) amp.
I installed 470 ohm resistor along with a 3 amp diode.
I have a used 4844 alltrax controller DCX. Used but from alltrax they said was good.

When powered up I get 4 green and a solid green(just as solenoid clicks) in forward, tires turn,but not as fast as I think they should.
forgot to say the voltage is 50.4 charger is a DPI (new one)
When I place into reverse I get the same code on the controller as in forward.
But it will not run.... I have checked the cables for continuity. all is ok.

what do you thinks I should check? Seems to me, it should run with everything checked out.
can you tell me what the voltage should be when it's not running. in reverse at the motor or f and r contacts or controller. and from what point (like neg)

Long post but thanks anyway.

Sonny
sonnysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-01-2014, 07:17 AM   #2
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: what to check

Not an expert but you stated: 2004 txt series cart and you used a 4844 dcx controller. dcx is for sepex carts (PDS). Axe is for series carts. So controller is not compatible.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:59 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Not an expert but you stated: 2004 txt series cart and you used a 4844 dcx controller. dcx is for sepex carts (PDS). Axe is for series carts. So controller is not compatible.
I suspect something is amiss in the controller description rather than the installation.
"DCX" does describe a sepex controller, but 4844 describes a series controller (specifically an AXE400)

You would end up with a couple terminals on the controller that you didn't have cables for if you tried to put a DCX in a series cart.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:54 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnysmith View Post
I have just installed a set of us batteries in a 2004 txt series ez go went from 36 to 48 volts
I changed all cables to 4 ga.
I replaced solenoid with a heavy duty one (200) amp.
I installed 470 ohm resistor along with a 3 amp diode.
I have a used 4844 alltrax controller DCX. Used but from alltrax they said was good.

When powered up I get 4 green and a solid green(just as solenoid clicks) in forward, tires turn,but not as fast as I think they should.
forgot to say the voltage is 50.4 charger is a DPI (new one)
When I place into reverse I get the same code on the controller as in forward.
But it will not run.... I have checked the cables for continuity. all is ok.

what do you thinks I should check? Seems to me, it should run with everything checked out.
can you tell me what the voltage should be when it's not running. in reverse at the motor or f and r contacts or controller. and from what point (like neg)

Long post but thanks anyway.

Sonny
You didn't say when you measured the pack voltage but 50.4V is only 88.5% charged.

Fully charged would be 51.19V roughly 12 hours after you unplugged the DPI charger from the cart.
During float charge (Green LED only on), the voltage should be about 53.07V

-----------
If you didn't change tire height or gear ratio when you went from 36V to 48V, the speed ought to have increased by roughly 1/3. How fast was it going at 36V and how fast is it now going at 48V?

---------
If the solenoid clicks in in both directions, the problem is the high current contacts in the F/T switch.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

sorry men for the senior moment. I'm old. It's a AXE 4844. voltage was taken just after charger shut off. I know this is not right but the cart is still on blocks. I'm just trying to get cart running before I finish all the body works. Johnnie I have changed the cables. If for some reason I'm not getting the right voltage to the motor from the contacts on the f and r, can I check voltage at different points to find out where I'm losing It. If you can tell me what the voltage should be at different points, then I can find it. I just guessed at the running to slow, tires are just turning as fast as I think it should.

Maybe this post will give you a little more information to work on.
Thanks for the help.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:46 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I'm not sure what you mean when you say the voltage (50.4V) was taken just after the charger shut off. A DPI Accusense charger does not shut off, it goes into Float charge after the regular charge cycle ends. If the charger is in Mode-1 (US Battery) and was unplugged shortly after the Green LED only came on, the voltage should have been 60.0 or above. If the Green LED only had been on for a while before charger was unplugged, the voltage still should have been close to 53.2V. Even if the charger had been disconnected for half a day, the pack should read 51.2V. or more since they are new US Battery batteries.

Something appears to be wrong with the new DPI charger, or the new US Battery batteries, or the way they are being charged. Whatever it is, needs to be corrected before your new batteries are irreversibly damaged.

While you are working on your cart, the batteries ought to be on float charge. The batteries don't even have to be in the cart, just as long as they are connected in series.

-------------
Connect your DVM between the B- and M- terminals on the controller.
Press pedal just far enough for the controller to power up and the solenoid to click.
You should read FULL battery pack voltage. (Whatever the pack voltage is at the time).

IF you don't have FULL pack voltage, using the test lead that was connected to the M- terminal, measure the voltage on the four cables connected to the F/R switch. You should read FULL battery pack voltage on all four of them, but if it runs in one direction, but not the other, you will be missing the voltage on one or two of them.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:39 PM   #7
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Johnnie
Like I said, the cart has not been on the ground, I installed the batteries and are wired ready to run. I hooked the charger up to them when they were installed. Have only unplugged after it quit charging (no amp showing) I didn't know it stayed on all the time.

I will be working on it tomorrow and take notes and voltages and repost.

Thanks for the help. It means a lot to me.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:03 PM   #8
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I did a little more on the cart today. changed f and r switch and motor.
Still have same problem. The voltage when it's charging is 61.3. When It stops, The voltage drops to 54.6. charger is in mode 1, I think that's right for US batteries.

B- and m- voltage was 49.8 voltage when solenoid clicks voltage seems to be random. one time 33 to 0 next time 48 to 38.

Talked with will at alltrax and going to try some new stuff tomorrow.

I'm just kind of at a lost right now, but I will find out what's wrong and fix it.

With all of your help.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:35 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Sounds like the charger and batteries are working okay.

The controller is a valve that controls the number of amps the motor is allowed to draw. The valve itself is located between the B- and M- terminals. When the pedal is just pressed until the solenoid clicks, battery pack voltage is applied to the valve, but the valve is closed until the pedal is pressed further and the throttle signal starts telling the controller to start opening the valve some.

When the solenoid is energized and the valve is closed, the voltage between the controller's B- and M- terminals will be identical to the voltage between the battery pack's main Positive and Negative terminals.

Since it is not, the difference in the voltages measured at the two place is being lost somewhere in the high current loop. The high current loop is a single line between the main positive battery terminal through the solenoid contacts, controller (valve), motor and F/R switch.

The attached drawing is the high current loop reduced to its simplest form.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hi Current Circuit - Series Motor -simplified.JPG (73.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-03-2014, 08:59 PM   #10
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

JohnnieB

The reading I'm getting are not right. I cleaned all terminals in the f and r switch, checked all motor and lug connection on everything.
Started taking voltage reading.
Pack voltage 50.1
neg to solenoid 50.1
b- to m- 45.8
when pedal pushed 40.1

Cart would run in forward but not in reverse. (still seems slow to me)
as I checked everything again. I removed the 1/2 speed wire from controller and the cart will run in reverse but still slow . I think. Hook the wire back up and it will not run in reverse but will in forward. I think it is possessed .
I'm going to call alltrax tomorrow and see if it could be in the controller.

any ideal???
Thanks again.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO