lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2014, 09:42 AM   #1
csk47
Not Yet Wild

Question 1995 electric Club Car just stops

For the past few years I have had the problem where the cart is running okay and then just stops. Won't go forward or reverse like it has no power. Sometimes I go to a stop sign and make a turn..and when I push on the "gas" pedal nothing happens. Somehow I tried spraying the Forward/Neutral/Reverse switch on the inside of the battery compartment and the cart would run again, almost like nothing happened. The last time it just stopped spraying didn't help and I had to be towed home. I charged the batteries overnight and it runs again. The batteries are 2 1/2 year old Trojans. I just don't have any confidence in the cart because I don't know when this will happen again. Can anyone advise me on what might be the problem and offer a rough idea on the cost to fix it? I don't want to drop a lot of money in such an old cart as time has taken it's toll on it's appearance and I am considering getting a newer one.
Thanks..
Casey
csk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2014, 09:56 AM   #2
Sumner121
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1995 electric Club Car just stops

Is it a solid state controller DS? with three microswitches on the foward/reverse switch? Have you done any modifications too it?
Sumner121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
csk47
Not Yet Wild

In about 2006 I replaced the slow motor that came with the cart to a faster motor. As far as I know nothing was done to the forward/reverse switches. Everything seemed to work well until just a couple of years ago when this starts/stops thing began happening.
csk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

When I upgraded my cart I had the same problem. Part of it was a dirty FnR. Even though it was brand new, the switch had so much grease on it that it attracted a lot of dust. I took a clean lint free cloth and wipped the contacts down and cleaned the grease off. I put a much thinner coat of electrical grease in its place. I also suspected that the new 2g cables were pulling at the switch and keeping it from laying flat. I made sure the cables had no twist and hung off the switch with out torquing it. It's been smooth carting since.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:45 PM   #5
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Look real close at the back of the f/r switch. There are 4 copper pads , if you move the switch back and forth, you will see all 4 of them.

Look to see if any of these pads, are discolored from heat, and look to see if it looks like any of them got hot enough and started to melt the plastic, to the point that one pad might have "sunk" down just a bit into the plastic.

I have replaced about 4 of these on customers carts recently. When the cart stops, try taking your fist and banging on the f/r lever, to see if the cart jumps. If it does, you need a new one.

If you replace it, they have one that is "beefed" up, for the same price as a regular one. It is worth it, the bus bars are copper and thicker.
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car